Used Rossi 971 Stainless?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by deinonychus75, Mar 19, 2004.

1. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

I noticed another Rossi thread on here, but my question is a little different. I found a used Rossi 971 stainless .357 that I really like at a local pawn shop. They're asking $199 for it. It needs some cleaning but seems to be in good condition. I'm just fishing for responses as to whether or not $199 is a decent price for a used gun of this type.

Deon
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

My book states that that Rossi in 95% is $145. May be more in your neck of the woods. Mfg's suggested retail was $290. Listing today at 100% condition is $200.
  3. deinonychus75

deinonychus75 New Member

Thanks

Thank you for the information. I went back to look at the pistol again this morning and ultimately decided on a Smith & Wesson model 686 with Pachmayr grips and ported 6" barrel. I figured since I could afford the S&W, I might as well go with the best quality that I can afford. Nothing against Rossi as I've heard a lot of good things about them - but their resale value isn't as high in the long run.

Deon
  4. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

As a Rossi owner I can tell you, don't buy it unless you plan to keep it.....like an automobile, it loses half it's value as soon as you leave the dealer's with it.....

I didn't actually buy mine, I traded for it, and I think I got the better end of the deal, but I did take it to a couple of gun shops just to see what they would give me for trade-in, and they all said the same thing...."NOTHING"...."we don't want it"......

It's a good little snub nose .38, it's accurate enough to hit 8" steel plates at 50 feet, and hasn't given me one bit of trouble, so it's mine for life.......
  5. Krazyhorse

Krazyhorse New Member

deonc:
    I have a Rossi M971 and it is a great gun. I bought it several years ago brand new for $200+tax. I'll have to agree with Tony Mig, it is definitely a "buy it and keep it" type of deal. I don't buy guns for resale purposes though, just to use!;)
  6. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson New Member

My wife and I have owned a Rossi M971 2 1/2" for about 11 years. It was the first handgun I ever owned, and we have been extremely well pleased with it. Like you, we were on a strict budget when looking for my first handgun, and I feel very fortunate to have stumbled upon a used Rossi .357 stainless! I purchased it for around $165.00 in 1997.

My wife hasn't shot with .357's in it yet, but she's seems deadly with .38's loaded instead! I have shot it with .357's, and man, is it a cannon!!! It's cool to watch the flame leap out of the barrel. ;)

The only issue we have had with it is: from repeated trips to the range, the screw on the cylinder release knob backed out and was lost, and I had to get a new screw for it at a gunsmith. He put some Locktight on it and it hasn't loosened since. Also, I have to stay on top of checking the vertical sight adjust screw after using it at the range, it tends to loosen a bit after about 150 to 200rds of practice.

I now use a Beretta 92FS 9mm as my primary concealed (with Mec-Gar 20rd magazines), and my wife uses the Rossi as hers. She really likes it, and has tried it against other handguns. What she likes most about it is:

1. Although it is heavy (compared to say a S&W Airlight hammerless), it has less recoil.
    2. It fits her hand better.
    3. She can shoot much more accurately in SA mode, utilizing the hammer before firing.
    4. She's much more accurate with it, than even the compact semi's she's tried.
    5. With her arthritis, pulling a slide back to ready her handgun can be problematic, especially when she first wakes up from a sound sleep, so a revolver is a great choice for her.
    6. We both love its sights. The red-painted forward sight is easy to place "on target."

Well, I hope some of this info is helpful to anyone thinking about owning a Rossi. Again, we love it! :)