used vs new

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bassketcher, Feb 21, 2006.

1. bassketcher

bassketcher New Member

I was wondering if there was any benefit to buying new brass for reloading or using spent commercial ammo.

Bassketcher
  2. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

its according to what you want to do with it. if you want first class match ammo go with the new brass, for general plinking and shooting use the used commercial brass. the commercial used sure is cheaper. the brass is the most expensive part of the reloading process. so what you want is really personal preference.
    blackhawkkid223
  3. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

Bassketcher

I'm a packrat and I pick up brass from the range and check it first for cracks and etc. the good pcs. I reload in my regular shooting guns.

But in my special guns I try to use new brass or once fired brass only
  4. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Kimber Man says "I'm a packrat and I pick up brass from the range"
    Now that is the truth for sure :D :D
    He will beat a newcomer over the head for just one little 38 SPEC case and cry like a baby if he can't find his lost 45 brass. :mad:
    He is even training buffalo Jump to be the same way. :eek:
    Now as for me I seldom bother to pick up extra brass ( just take it from Kimber Man's bag when he isn't looking :cool: :) :rolleyes: :cool: )
    Just make sure that when you reload that it is good brass and not damaged in any way the two cents saved isn't worth blowing up a gun over.
    Ron
  5. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

My spies tell me different! :p ;) :D

Attached Files:

6. danurve

danurve New Member

This is the difference from the way I learned to reload;
    Going through a new box of shells through your rifle gives you formed brass ready to neck size, if this is your preference.

Going through once-fired brass from purchase or salvages basicaly means your needing to full-size these first loads before you neck size.

New brass - same deal. Some people like the idea of virgin brass. I don't see what the big deal is. You still need to inspect each peice, uniform the primer/flash hole, trim, deburr, alll that.

I like the consistancy of reloads. So working with / forming new or once fired brass seems like an extra step to me. Even a waist of powder and bullets. But that's just me, and I do prefer to neck size. I also don't push max loads, I get a good 10 shots out of each peice, then I dent and toss them for a safety margin.
  7. My philosophy has always been, use the once-fired brass for target reloads only if you know the source of the brass. One of the reasons I purchase only "good" target ammo, Winchester White Box, for example, is because I can feel confident in reloading it. I will purchase new brass for reloading only if I'm building loads and want the best possible consistency. For target stuff, I use what I've shot before after careful inspection for defects. Picking up someone's discarded brass at the range gives me the willies. 99% of the time it will be OK, but that 1% where it isn't can be dangerous.
  8. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

And if you think that the pick is fake I got video evidence of it.

Ray
  9. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

yeah ray, i know him and pete very well, you have to watch them or they will pick up your brass while you are still shooting, i have to shoot 1 mag and stop to police the brass or pete(kimberman) will already be sniffing them out.
    sheldon aka blackhawkkid223
  10. I'll keep an eye open for a new IPO undoubtedly coming soon: "Kimberman's Remanufactured Ammo, Inc." :D :p
  11. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

blackhawkkid223

I'm sorry ......but I've been picking up brass and etc. for about 20yrs. or so. It's just a old habit for an old man. But I also have to say the following :

1)If you need any brass ..I would gladly share it with you ,,,except for 357 Mag.

any comments about the above statment ????

2) Your a bigger packrat then me.........who are you to say anything ???(Ha! Ha! ) nothing but nothing passes your eyes.

3) I also give R.U.D.S. alot of Brass over the last couple of yrs. plus newbie needing brass to load.

Got You

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  12. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

358 winchester

Packrat................ one picture is worth 1,000 words.........What can I say.

I really don't know SouthernMoss, But she has your number

one more thing :training buffalo Jump............I'm not the one who been training
    Buffalo Jump...........He picks up brass like you 358 Winchester......does that tell you something ????

13. Kimber Man

Kimber Man New Member

-Pistolenschutze

I'll keep an eye open for a new IPO undoubtedly coming soon: "Kimberman's Remanufactured Ammo, Inc." Today 09:31 PM

I guess the correct question here is who has the most Ammo loaded to name the Remanufactured Ammo, Inc. after ?????

358 Winchester
    blackhawkkid223 ( It's a tie between these two)

Kimberman ( 3rd)