Useless Info

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Sep 20, 2012.

1. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

very cool, some I know others I didnt.
  2. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Thank you for the list. A nice read.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

4. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Aluminum does rust and so does stainless steel. Want to tick your wife off? If you have anything stainless in the house put pinesol on it and see what happens. I had a stainless fridge at a customers house that the bottom 3rd of the door would get specks of rust all over it. So I ordered her a new door. Sure enough the new one did the same thing. What was happening is they used a commercial string mop. You know the ones that restaurants use. When they flung it out it splattered the door.

When I was in elementary school, I did a science fair project on rust. I had a bunch of test tubes with different types of metal in them. And I added stuff to each one to see what would rust and how fast. I did manage to get aluminum to develop some rust, however minor. And I do not remember what it was that did it. I'm thinking it was coke but honestly I don't remember. But it will develop rust eventually. Or maybe the coke just dried on it. Whatever:D It was almost 30 years ago.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I never knew that and Im a welder. Well I only weld mild steel. I wonder what happens with milk tankers, crude tankers, pneumatic tankers, and other specialty made trailers? I pulled plenty of those before I quit driving a tractor trailer. :confused:
  6. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Copper turns green or black when it oxidizes, and I think the zinc makes a white powder. Stainless steel doesn't rust, but elements (chromium and nickel) in it do.
  7. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Well do keep in mind that I was doing "extreme" (lol I was 10)tests. I left them sitting in a test tube of various acids for over a month. Let me think here. The base was just water. then there was coke, one was orange juice, one was some cleaner we had at the house and I can't remember what the last was. But we had 5 metals and 5 tests for each metal. But I'm pretty sure coke was the one that made everything rust. But then again it was 26 years ago so my memory could be off a little. But we were very surprised with what we found. My dad was a mechanic at dump and didn't think the alum would rust either. Now was it real "rust" or just a chemical reaction to the coke. I don't know I was 10 and didn't have the ability to test it. But it was brown, not sticky and flaked off. And it did take over a month for it to appear.
  8. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

thats some hell of a tests :D