useless sights

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by lousyshot, May 18, 2011.

1. lousyshot

lousyshot New Member

I bought a set of fixed, white dot sights for my Colt govt 45 and had a gunsmithh install them. When I shot the gun, the bullets hit about 8" or 10" low at 50 feet. What gives?? I ordered the correct sights according to the catalog. I have to cover the target with the muzzle end of the gun to hit the bull, or grind off the front sight including part of the white dot. Help please.:mad:
  2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

What the "correct sights" are depends a lot on what ammo you use and what distance you shoot at. I'm assuming you replaced the tiny GI sights on your Colt? I once upgraded a basic GI model with better sights and I had to do some front sight filing to get it to shoot where I wanted it. I much prefer a 6 o'clock hold so I like my guns to actually shoot a tad high. How does it shoot at say 25 feet?
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Many things can cause your weapon to shoot low...

Most common causes are improper grip and poor trigger control, recoil anticipation flinch, low powered ammo, etc.

How did your weapon shoot before? Have you let others who are experienced with a handgun try it and see if it shoots the same for them??

Just some options you should explore before knocking what could be a perfectly good set of sights...
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Just a wild guess but I bet I'm right. Your new front sight is taller than the old front sight and I also bet that filing it down isn't an option. You need an adjustable rear sight or a taller rear sight, Time to go back to your gunsmith. Only other thing would be to shoot heavier, slower bullets but if your gun works with you are shooting now I would work on the sights instead.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Are you holding 6 o clock when using sights set up for bullseye? Thats really common.
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    That would be less than 2" below point of aim, he is talking about 10" at 50' At 50 yards he would be at the bottom of the paper. This is a high front sight and/or low rear sight problem.