1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Using Bullseye powder for light recoil 12ga loads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by lslubecki, Jun 28, 2007.

1. lslubecki

lslubecki New Member

I read that bullseye powder can be used for 12ga loads but I cant find any data. We are currently using clays. We have lots of Bullseye and would rather use it for 12ga if possible and go to w238 for the pistol loads. We only shoot skeet no hunting. Any ideas on a light 12ga load for 7/8 to 1oz #9 shot? Thanks.

Steve
  2. Mark

Mark New Member

Bullseye is NOT recommended for shotshells. It just burns too fast.

I would recommend you go to Alliant or Hogdon websites and see what is recommended there. Look for something that has very low pressure, that will usually be the lightest recoiling.
    It should be noted that most of these light loads won't function in semi-autos.
    Mark
  3. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

For light 12ga loads, I've been having great results with 7/8oz shot and Tightwad. I'd recommend finding a load that fits your hulls/wads rather than going with mine, as mine is only recommended for the Gualandi Super-Spark wads in Fiocchi hulls.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

lslubecki:

The Lyman Shotshell Handook, Third Edition on page 126 lists the following loads for Bullseye:

12 ga 2 3/4 Length folded crimp (Use with Federal Gold Medal plastic cases only) 1 ounce field loads

18.0 grs
    win 209 primers
    One Federal pushin'-chushion #12S3 wad and
    Two 20 ga Butler .125 card under shot for
    1188 FPS and 7,900 LUP pressure

or

18.5 grs
    win 209 primers
    One Remington Power Piston #R12L wad and
    Three 20 ga Butler .125 card under shot for
    1187 FPS and 7,900 LUP pressure

or

18.5 grs
    win 209 primer
    One Winchester #WAA12F1 wad and
    One 20 ga Butler .125 card under shot for
    1183 FPS and 7,000 LUP pressure

These are the only loads listed for Bullseye powder in the extensive Lyman Manual that I could find. All other loads are for what I would call slower powders, most middle of the chart, with the exception of Red Dot.

LDBennett
  5. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

Excuse the ignorance guys. I don't reload but would high brass hulls help?
  6. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

High brass makes no difference to a shotshell. It's there for eye appeal on heavier loads. The internal measurements of high base or low base do change the stacking characteristics. High base shells may help to eliminate the extra cards LD's loads called for but I'd be more inclined to follow a published load exactly.

I have a little freebie Hercules load manual that has lots of loads for 7/8 oz & 1 oz loads using bullseye with lots of different hulls & wads. Let me know what components you have besides the powder & I'll check it for you.

Say for instance if you had AA winchester hulls, Rem RXP 12 wads & W209 primers you would be able to load 1 oz shot with 17.5 grains Bullseye & not have to use any card wads. 8,800 psi pressure.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  7. lslubecki

lslubecki New Member

Thanks for all the great info. That Hercules load manual sounds like the ticket I'm looking for. We have several different kinds of hulls, w209 primers and WAA12F1 wads. We need to get more wads and I will go for the Rem RXP 12 wads. The fewer components to install the better. I'll try to find out what hulls we have. From where could that Hercules manual be procured? Thanks again.

Steve
  8. bunnyhunter12

bunnyhunter12 New Member

I must say thank you as well. Pop, your answer was interesting enough for me to do some research and it turns out that you are absolutely correct. High brass has a VERY limited structural use in paper hulls but other than that you don't NEED any brass. Activ shells were fairly popular with their "all plastic" construction.
  9. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Steve
    The little freebie manuals are kept behind the counter at your local powder supply store. They keep them hidden hoping you'll buy a regular manual or two. Ask them for every free one they have at the same time you may be buying something. Hercules was sold off to Alliant if I remember so you'd want a new Alliant manual to find the Bullseye loads. If you can't find one I'll be happy to check the older Hercules manual & post what I can when you find your hulls Etc. I think I have the new Alliant manual too.

BH
    There are a lot of interesting things about shotgun shells.
    How's the weather there where you are? I bet it's a pretty place. My sister lived in Squamish BC & we used to visit her this time of year. I love that it's cooler up there. My brother-in-law won't set foot out of Canada in the summertime because it's too hot down here in the states. Everything seems to be on fire around here. I was at my cabin today & there's a good size fire burning on the other side of the mountain. I probably won't get much sleep tonight.
    Best to all
    Popgunner
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2007