Using your dutch oven

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by 1969SS396, Aug 27, 2012.

1. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

In this thread
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=111732
    the subject of using cast iron cookware is something many people on this forum do.

So I was wondering if those of you using a dutch oven would mind sharing how you use them, what your recipes are for using them.

I haven't used mine much and would like to, advice or tips as always are greatly appreciated.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

[​IMG]

2 cups self-raising flour
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1-1½ cups milk
    2 teaspoon sugar
    2 teaspoon butter

extra flour as needed

Method
    Mix the flour, salt and sugar together into a bowl.
    Cut in the butter until fine crumbs form.
    Add milk slowly and mix to form a soft dough.
    Knead lightly on a floured board until smooth.
    Shape into a round loaf, brush with milk and cut a cross in the top surface of the dough.
    . . . For oven cooking
    Grease and dust with flour a round cake tin. You can substitute a flat baking pan, but the round tin gives a better shape to the loaf.
    Place dough in the pan and bake at 190° C (375° F)
    for 30 - 40 minutes.
    . . . For campfire cooking
    Grease the camp oven (Dutch oven) and dust with flour
    Add bread dough and cover.
    Place in your campfire, cover with hot ashes and coals and bake for about 30 minutes.
    Note: to test if it's done, tap on the loaf and it should sound hollow. Cut into moderately thick slices and serve while still warm. Top with butter, golden syrup, or your favourite jam.

pork roast just chuck him in with some vege's
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Jack, my wife said "Hold that pot, we will be right over."
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

that was last summer , thats ok winters just ended so these will be a regular event again , just let me know your preference pork goat or roo ;)
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

beer damper ( Australian beer bread )

Ingredients:
    2 cups plain white flour
    4 tsp baking powder
    60g melted butter
    1/2 bottle of beer
    1/2 tsp salt
    Directions:
    Preheat oven to 200C (400F)
    Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl ( rub butter through flour first for best results)
    Kneed the dough to form a ball for about 4 – 5 minutes until the dough is smooth.
    Flatten the dough ball, brush on a bit of milk and dust it.
    Place in on a floured tray and let rise 20-30 mins .
    Place it in the camp oven for 15 – 20 minutes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  6. 76Highboy

A roo would be good I'll bet. That bread looks great. I think I will try that in the next couple of weeks.
  7. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Mmmmm....Beer bread! My wife makes that and I love it. I've got a dutch oven but have only used it a few time. If some recipes get posted up i'll have to get it back out ;).
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what does roo taste like
  9. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

I used to work for a dog food company. They used Roo in one of the dog foods. It was a VERY lean meat and smelled awful :eek:.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

ever had really lean beef ?

sort of that way . grainier, stringier flesh like a turkey

tasty but not strong , makes a great minute steak sandwich just as it is
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

if it smelled it was not stored well

here to get a roo in for human consumption it has to be cleaned dressed and chilled within a hour of it being shot

4 hours for pet food

see the diff? and why the stink ..

i'm writing a short intro booklet about roo processing for ex troops to get into as a business when they get out

rooshooter.com for more info

( aint been updated since 2005 we'll get to it ;) )
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Jack,

That beer bread with the lid on or off?
    That camel that you have in the what's for dinner thread looked quite tasty. Mind if I swing by for some of that?
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

the one in the pic was open oven ( my wood burner ) but its meant to go in a camp oven if you open cook it like shown , double the butter
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

call ahead for camel meat eh ! they be a bit far from here but have a deal with the koori folks who'll deliver some here on their way to the city markets .. or we can go set some fresh ;) my next hand gun hunt was gonna be for a camel

gonna play the aussie mythbuster .. see if something can be done ..
  15. 76Highboy

One thing about cooking with cast iron is if your iron is seasoned right you can cook a stew in it (or chili, or whatever), and then turn right around and cook brownies in the same cast iron pot and there will be no difference to the taste. You simply wipe the cast iron out when it is empty of the last serving (stew, steak, chili, whatever it is you cook) and start desert in the pot. Blueberry cobler, cake, whatever you want. Cornbread is also great in cast iron. So cast iron is flexible and there is no aluminum to give you Alzheimers, and the iron is good for the iron that your blood needs. One bit of advice though, keep the cast iron warm as you are serving out of it. If it gets cold while the food is in it, the food won't be as tasty. Also, if the iron gets dry with food in it, a little boiling water in it, then take steel wool or wad some aluminum foil up and scrub it good and then it is clean. Then place the iron where it will get warmed a little and as the water evaporates off you can spray it with some cooking oil. Then after you have the oil sprayed on remove the warm iron and as the iron cools it will absorb the oil and keep it seasoned. Then it will be ready for the next time you use it. If you are using the iron around an open flame remove the iron from the flame and then spray it so it is away from the fire. Always be safe when spraying cooking oil around an open flame. Also, Crisco works as a good seasoner for iron, as well as cooking bacon in it. As a matter of fact I think the best way to break iron in is to start with cooking bacon. Bacon grease is a great seasoner for iron so it is always a good idea to include that in the meals as a way to keep it lubed.

Hope that helps. Have fun cause you sure won't hurt it.