The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

UZI firearms

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
OK, so I just saw a guy posting an IMI UZI Pistol 9mm semi-auto for sale on our local gun trader site near me for $1100.00 with 1 magazine.

My question is what is so great about these UZI pistols that someone would pay over $1000 for one? I own a Glock 17, and I have two 33 round magazines. In my opinion that is much better than the UZI. I paid $450 for my G17 used (GEN 3), and like $45 each for the mags. So that is $540. What am I missing with the UZI semi-auto pistol?

#3 ·
Thats a broad question. I have a couple of 1911s that cost near a grand and they are worth every dime to me. Some would wonder (me) who would spend 450.00 on a glock......

#7 · (Edited)
Some would wonder (me) who would spend 450.00 on a glock......
Real simple equation...1911 vs Glock.
Easily answered by shooting ONE specific model of each...
A Colt Delta Elite & a Glock 20 (both 10mm)
Try the DE first...just one shot...then shoot one shot out of the Glock.
That'll probably let you know right there why...Then a full mag from each.
Do that, and you will know after the first mag of each WHY people like Glocks.
That's the main reason for me...even with a Pachmeyr Wrap-Around grip the DE looses in the recoil test.

Secondary is the ability to easily switch calibers in a Glock...it is So Easy even a caveman can do it ;)

Third...You can literally drop a Glock in a barrel of seawater and leave it for a year...
take it out, shake it off, load it, and start firing like it nothing happened.
If I did that with the Delta Elite...the gun would be dead. Glocks are the AK of the pistol world.

And that's why the Delta Elite sits in the back of the safe, while the Glock 20 gets a LOT of use...

Reactions: jonb32248
#9 · (Edited)
Well, since I dont make it a habit of dropping my guns in seawater for a year (who does that?)....and glocks are the ugliest gun on the planet, I think I will stick with the firearm that our troops fought with for 80 years...oh yea and the trigger on the 1911 cant be beat by ANY other handgun made. Oh yea, I have shot gllooks. Most 1911s I pull out of the box, even the low end ones, are more accurate. Did I mention that you can customize them like crazy and they are just darn good looking guns? I guess thats why they make 1000s of different guns huh.....Im glad there are glllocclkies out there. If there werent, there wouldnt be any 1911s available for me!

#12 · (Edited)
My opinion (getting back to the original question and leaving combat tupperware behind)

This is a Uzi pistol.

This is a micro-Uzi SMG.

Looks like the same gun to me. So my opinion is the folks that pay high-dollar for a Uzi pistol are the same folks that buy the fake silencers for their MAC 11 pistols. People that want others to think they've got a machine gun.

Actually, with your name, I'd think you'd understand. It looks so "tacti-kewl". :p

Reactions: CrookCountyGO
#13 ·
Back in 1995 I was able to shoot a full auto full size UZI in training. That I understand. The comparison I was trying to make here was between a semi-auto UZI Pistol and a Glock. Both 9MM, both semi-auto. Both capable of accepting high capacity magazines. I have never shot a semi-auto UZI pistol. I own a couple Glocks.

I did not say anything about a 1911. I like the 1911, but that should be a separate thread.

#14 ·
Back in 1995 I was able to shoot a full auto full size UZI in training. That I understand. The comparison I was trying to make here was between a semi-auto UZI Pistol and a Glock. Both 9MM, both semi-auto. Both capable of accepting high capacity magazines. I have never shot a semi-auto UZI pistol. I own a couple Glocks.

I did not say anything about a 1911. I like the 1911, but that should be a separate thread.
Maybe. The reason the 1911 was mentioned was due to the broad difference in the comparison between the glock and the uzi. Your original question was why would anyone buy an uzi for 1100 when basically they could have a glock? That is such a huge difference and broad spectrum that my comparison to a 1911 actually fit right in. So I actually disagree. I think the comparisons werent that far off...

#15 · (Edited)
Was that meant to be a compliment to the Glock or an insult to the AK?
Few pistols have been as torture tested as the Glocks...
including when Glock personnel dropped a few in ocean water for a year...
darn things have passed more tests than I care to post about.

And there's that whole ammo capacity thing...150 round Beta mags are available for Glocks...and Uzis
Have yet to see one for a 1911...

Double D, Glock's ain't the ugliest, the ugliest are Hi Points, hands down...lol

The only real downsides to 1911's are easily solved...
Hammer Bite? Get a beavertail...
Recoil?? Get a Pachmyer wrap-around grip...it does help.
Low Capacity?? Get a double-stack Caspian frame...
Of course, the 1911 is like a Ford Mustang, thousands of mods available...
just depends on how much you wanna throw into it...

#16 ·
I love the argument about the glocks being so tested. How much more tested can you get than the 1911s 80 years on the battlefield? Also, just for the record, I think its safe to say that 95% of people that own guns will never need to put their firearm thru any torture test such as throwing it in sea water for a year....these things that glock boast, the large majority of poly guns out there will do the same thing. Unless your going to the desert or the ocean, well.....those things have no bearing on selling me a firearm. Sigs, smiths, springfields...all look better to me and will do anything a glock will do if I want a plastic gun. Otherwise, I just stay with the proven battle tested war horse.

#18 ·
Many (actually most) police agencies are using the Glock as a service weapon these days. They are very reliable service weapons.

Double D stated, "The reason the 1911 was mentioned was due to the broad difference in the comparison between the glock and the uzi."

So the Glock can be used very effectively as a conceal carry weapon, self defense weapon, accurate range weapon, and in the case of the 9mm versions, can carry 33 rounds of ammo in a high capacity magazine.

How accurate is this Mini-Uzi pistol? How heavy is the UZI pistol when loaded with ammo? How easily could someone carry and/or conceal that weapon?

Honestly, I believe that many people buy the UZI because it is an UZI and they simply want to own an UZI.

#19 ·
Many (actually most) police agencies are using the Glock as a service weapon these days. They are very reliable service weapons.

Double D stated, "The reason the 1911 was mentioned was due to the broad difference in the comparison between the glock and the uzi."

So the Glock can be used very effectively as a conceal carry weapon, self defense weapon, accurate range weapon, and in the case of the 9mm versions, can carry 33 rounds of ammo in a high capacity magazine.

How accurate is this Mini-Uzi pistol? How heavy is the UZI pistol when loaded with ammo? How easily could someone carry and/or conceal that weapon?

Honestly, I believe that many people buy the UZI because it is an UZI and they simply want to own an UZI.
I have an UZI, + MP5, + M16 because I love the smell of gun smoke, and 650 RPM going down range.

#20 ·
First the year in sea water is confusing to me, are you telling me there is no metal in a Glock? I think the case could be made that any quality pistol placed in sea water would also work.
Police departments use Glock`s because Glock cut a lowball deal with them decades ago.
Now back to the local news.
The UZI has the cool factor and it`s a pretty old design and in it`s original form, folding/fixed stock and short barrel made it ideal close quarters weapon and it was designed just for that. Easy to pack, easy to deploy. The 9mm is the subguns favorite food. It`s close quarter history in battle has been earned.

BTW, they make a 50rnd snail drum for the 1911 or did.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.