v.bernardelli model 60

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by fireman2004, Jul 25, 2012.

1. fireman2004

fireman2004 New Member

Good afternoon guys,
    I just happened to stumble on this site and saw this post about the v.bernadelli model 80. I was actually looking for info about the model 60. I am relatively new semi auto hanguns. Have had a few smaller .380's and used them on a limited basis. Anyway, my question is about loading this gun and having it ready for shooting. When a round is in the chamber does the hammer have to be cocked to be ready to fire? I want ot own this gun and know how to operate it safely. I can't find any information anywhere on the web. Figured I would start here and see what happens. I don't want to experiment with a round chambered. Thanks for any help you can give me with this or with finding any info on the web about this gun.

Barry
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

3. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

The Bernardelli Model 60 and Model 80 are mechanically identical except that the Model 60 does NOT have the slide mounted firing pin block safety I described. So yes, the hammer must be cocked to fire it, but working the slide to load the firing chamber cocks the hammer automatically. To lower the hammer, you must pull the trigger and lower it with your thumb on the live round - without the benefit of the slide safety which the Model 80 has.

The Model 80 was just the Model 60 modified enough so that Bernardelli could continue to export it to the United States after the Gun Control Act of 1968 when into effect. They added adjustable sights, a thumbrest on the left grip panel, and the slide safety. Those features added enough "points" under the 1968 act to allow importation.

Sorry for not reading your post closely enough, but that is the problem with resurrecting an old thread instead of starting a new one. HTH!
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Looks like this thread may be and administrator restart of post #19 of:
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=100518&highlight=v.bernardelli model 60
    In any case as mentioned in post #3 above the VB Model 60 does not have a firing pin block safety. That being the case (and as a general handgun carry safety statement) such guns should not be carried with a round in the chamber.

They can safely be carried with a loaded magazine, manual safety in the disengaged or "fire" position, and no round in the chamber. Should the gun be needed to deal with an actual violent, or potentially violent, emergency; the slide will have to be cycled to load the chamber and make the gun ready for immediate firing. While this normally requires two hands to accomplish, it is almost as fast for most persons as disengaging a manual safety; and a lot safer than relying on a single manual safety, that often only blocks the trigger and can easily become disengaged while carrying; especially, if carried in one's pocket, waistband holster, or handbag. Agencies of more than one government that issue handguns require that semi-auto pistols, that lack a firing pin block safety, be carried "empty chamber/loaded magazine"
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  5. fireman2004

fireman2004 New Member

Thanks for all the info guys....much appreciated.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

:( CRINGE :( :barf:
  7. fireman2004

fireman2004 New Member

Hi guys,
    Well I have had this Bernardelli Model 60 for a couple of years now and am looking to get rid of it. Not that it is a bad gun, it's not. I have had no problems with it. I can see by a lot off the posts that it was not a well liked piece. If anyone knows how I can find out what it's worth or knows what it is worth, that would be great. Thanks guys appreciate any help and input that is available.

Edit: forum violation. Be very careful.
    Shooter45
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014