v.bernardelli model 80

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by GunNut89, Jan 16, 2012.

1. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

i recently got a v.bernardelli model 80 pistol. the guy i got it from was going to throw it away????? :eek: what the hell is wrong with people?? he used to carry it as a side-arm back in the 80's. he hadnt touched it since then. it sat in a shoebox in his closet. i went and got a purchase permit and the gun was mine. free of charge. i brought it home, took it apart and cleaned it. loaded the mag up in the backyard and shot it. the gun works great! i love it for the price. :D anyone have experience with these pistols? i have one issue with it. when u fire the last shell, the slide stays open like any auto loader i have shot. but my question is this, how do u get the magazine out with the slide in the open position? i can do it by taking the pressure of the slide off the magazine and then the magazing will slide out. is there a slide release on this gun? dumb question but i cant figure it out.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't blame him for wanting to throw it away. I don't know what caliber the model 80 is, but I threw away a Bernardelli .22 about 40 years ago right after it went off in my pocket and almost shot me. You can't give me a Bernardelli and I absolutely cringe at the name!!

From what I remember, there is some kind of "button" on the side that you push to take it apart. Do not push that button if there is a round in the chamber because the firing pin will slam forward. That is the only thing that I can think of that caused the thing to go off. I had it in my left pants pocket, I leaned up against my desk at work and the piece of crap went off and grazed my leg. I had just turned the thing around in my pocket because the barrel was sticking in my belly. Like I said, I cringe at the name.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  3. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

damn gdmoody. its funny you say that. i didnt mention this part before but the reason the guy didnt touch it for 20+ years because it too went off in his holster. shot him in the left ass cheek. he didnt trust it anymore. now you say the same thing happened to you! looks like this one will be sitting in the safe for ever.:confused:
  4. gdmoody

My suggestion is to take it apart and throw the pieces in several different places so someone can't find it and possibly hurt themselves. That is what I did, as I left work that day I put the parts into two or three different dumpsters!!
  5. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

Funny, I have several of the 80's (american version)and 60's (euro version). Most of them are in 380 but one is in the 32acp and a couple in the 22lr. Never a problem with any of them. Like a few of the pistols of its time they lock back on the last round but when the magazine is removed the slide closes. My Mausers do the same thing. I have contemplated picking up a Bernardelli shotgun to go with these nice little pistols but have never gotten around to it.

Heck I would pay shipping and transfer fees to get another one or two.
  6. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

i like the gun actually. its shoots good and it was free. i cant complain
  7. gdmoody

There is one in pieces at the Nashville, Tennessee landfill, under about 40 years worth of trash.
  8. group17

group17 New Member

Disassembly:
    First pull the Magazine out, pull the slide back and make sure the pistol is unloaded with both safeties on. Then with the clip out and hammer cocked, press the button at the rear most part of the gun on the left side just above where your hand would be if you were firing the gun. When pressing this button pull back and up on the slide and it should come off after about an inch.

Parts:
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=1483
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  9. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Bernardelli made very finely made firearms, on par with any manufacturer.
    gdmoody's experience would sour anyone, though.
  10. popgun

popgun New Member

I have one in 22LR been a fine gun for me. Had it about 20 years
  11. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

i got no beef with mine yet really, kinda a fun gun to shoot. and thanks group17, i'll give that a shot.
  12. adam01364

adam01364 New Member

1st post.... sorry to revive an older thread. I have just acquired a Bernardelli Model 80 in 380, and I have a question whether or not it has a LRHO feature. I have yet to fire it, but have been cycling it with snap caps. After the last round has been ejected, the slide stays back. However, I cannot drop the mag, the slide is holding it captive. When I pull out the mag, the slide slams shut, bit my hand the first time. Is this normal? I'd appreciate any help or ideas on this. Thanks!
  13. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Post # 12 (adam01364) I think that I remember that what you describe is normal.

These pistols are rather bastardized (simplified) single action copies of a Walther PP.

I have not touched one in about 5 years, when I was coaching a Cop's wife who purchased one in .22 LR used. If I remember correctly, most have a both a Browning type trigger blocking frame safety, and a Walther type firing pin block slide mounted safety that does not de-cock the arm when applied, like the Erma Werke copy of the PPK. The safeties work independently of each other.

I believe that they do have the PP/PPK last shot slide hold open mechanical feature. Normally, it is necessary to partially remove the empty magazine to close the slide after a last shot from an exhausted magazine. As some have apparently discovered, this is best accomplished by holding the slide a little rearward, while unlatching and partially lowering the magazine with the other hand.
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
  14. gdmoody

Bastardized is a good description of any Bernardelli piece of crap, in my opinion!!
  15. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

I have never used a Bernardelli 80, but what adam01364 describes is the Beretta 1934 type of hold-open, where the magazine follower is used to jam the slide open after the last round is fired. This is not much of a hold-open - all is does is signal that the pistol is empty, and it tends to slow down reloading rather than assist it - but it was once fairly common.

As I recall, it was it used not only by Beretta, but by CZ in the 24/27/38 models, and Nambu in the Types 14 and 94. Some Webley 32s had magazines made that way too.

Given how popular the Beretta pistols were in Italy, I would not be at all surprised if Bernardelli used the same system.