v8 toyota owners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mitchell38, Jul 9, 2012.

1. mitchell38

mitchell38 Former Guest

got a 02 sequoia v8 with 94k miles,the owners manual says to change the timing belt at 90k,dont do alot of towing,its mainly just a grocery getter for my wife,wondering if i need to hurry and get this done,or is toyota being conservative on the 90k
  2. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

No Toyota is right on. That V8 is an interference engine. In other words when (not if) the belt slips then the valves get bent. Change it now.
  3. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

+1

Not cheap now, but if you put it off and the belt fails the price of repairs goes waaay up.
  4. mitchell38

mitchell38 Former Guest

no, its not real cheap,toyota wants $850, i know if it goes the valves meet the pistons,which will cost alot more than the belt/water pump replacement,wondering how far others have made it before changing it or if they've had one fail
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

6. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

I would NOT wait any longer. You may get 100k miles or it may break today. I would also find someone else to replace it. I have had Toyotas exclusively since the early 80's and the only time I take them back to the dealer is when they are under warranty. $850, in my opinion is waaaaay too much. Check you tube videos and do it yourself, or call on a handyman friend.
  7. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Do it now. I wouldnt wait too much longer. Too big a risk and they have it pretty well pegged. Shoulda got one with a chain. :D

V6 taco's for the win.
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy New Member

These guys are right, you're not talking about a lubricated part here and towing or driving conditions really don't come into play. If you don't go ahead and get it done, you might really regret it.
  9. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

My buddy had it done on his Tundra. While they were at it, they replaced the water pump and cam shaft seals because they had to remove them anyway. No extra labor charge. Seals and pump labor alone is about the same as the timing belt replacement.
  10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Do it yourself! will cost about $300 total if that with OEM parts, it's really not that hard.

and yes, x3 or whatever on getting it replaced along with thermostat/waterpump while you're in there.

Make sure to use an OEM toyota water pump, timing belt and thermostat, trust me. money well spent if you want it to last. They're not that much more than aftermarket garbage.

here's a how to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TZTn1Arjho

trust me, it's not very difficult to do yourself. buy a haynes manual and look around tundrasolutions.com for help.

I'm a Toyota junky, got 3 of 'em! ask if you have specific questions.
  11. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Dealer is doing our Tundra this week, under $520 for parts and labor. I tried to get local shop to do it BUT they said they did not want to tie up a bay for half a day. Now being I am paying no matter, makes me wonder why they would not do it.
  12. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

Yes, Toyota is somewhat conservative, and so is Mazda, but they are for a reason.

The timing belt is a "stressed" rubber part in a dry, hot compartment. The belt is reinforced with steel strands, but the teeth are not. Dry rotted teeth break, no matter what the load is on the engine. You skip a tooth, it may not start. You skip two teeth, your valves are in jepordy of "kissing" the tops of the pistons and bending them.

Change the belt.

Toyota Program Instructor from 1991 to 1997.
  13. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

there is usually a cover you can take off and inspect the belt. if I see tiny cracks or the back side looks shiny I recommend doing it soon. your climate will affect the interval. we get hot summers and bitter cold winters. I find more belt issues in the winter. the belt starts out cold and is expected to flex around pulleys. manual transmissions are harder on T belts, more severe RPM fluctuations.
    basically what I tell my customers is "it's your call, do you feel lucky?"
  14. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

Right on, this is an interference engine. If you don't change that belt BEFORE it breaks, and it does while driving, you'll be buying a new engine.

Toyota is conservative. You do have a pretty good chance of that engine running it's entire service life without the timing belt failing. Like so many things in life, you gotta weigh the risk vs the reward.

I'm an ASE master technician, and I run a 12 bay high volume autocenter.
    If you drive any vehicle with an interference engine, change the timing belt pretty close to when the manufacturer recommends.
  15. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with aftermarket parts, just because they're aftermarket.

That being said, if you get 5 prices on the same part and one is 50% less than all the rest? There's likely a reason for that.