Value and history of 1916 Artillery Luger

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ejlvfr, Mar 14, 2011.

1. ejlvfr

ejlvfr New Member

Hello, I am new to the site and had a question about a Luger my dad is considering buying. It is a 1916 Artillery Luger with a leather holster that has the wood stock connected to it and a magazine holder. Also, there is a rod with wood handle (cleaning rod I guess), one regular magazine, a magazine loader and a drum magazine. The serial number is 13XX. There is also a 1917 Luger with a matching number magazine, serial number 25XX. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
  2. ejlvfr

ejlvfr New Member

Here are some pictures
  3. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I hope he knows his Lugers! The rig you have described could bring up to 7 or 8 thousand dollars depending on condition and originality. (Maybe even more.) If he's not really confident about what he is getting into I would suggest he consult someone knowledgeable.
    There are "reproduction" holsters, stocks, snail mags, etc. out there so be aware!
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, ejlvfr,

Your pictures didn't come through. We will need good pics to determine, if possible, what the gun is and make a guess on the value. As deadin says, there are a lot of fakes out there, but an original would be very valuable.

Jim
  5. ejlvfr

ejlvfr New Member

6. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Holster is definitely not WWI vintage - most likely a repro from the 60s-70s..which makes the rest of the rig suspect..
    The rest of the pictures are too dark to make any educated guess about the gun and the rest of the accessories.
    Given the fact that the holster is a repro- I would stay away.
  7. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

You did not say what the asking price is. The photos are not close enough to tell anything. The holster may or may not be OK can't tell. The Snail Drum is for real and the othe items could make this "Lang Luger", interesting. There is not enough here for anyone to make call on this gun.:)

RC
  8. muddober

muddober Active Member

I know nothing about Lugers but I am curious what makes that holster appear to be new production? Keep in mind I am not challenging that statment I am trying to learn. Another thing are there Luger guns out there that are fakes or just the parts. That drum clip would be no easy task to make on a single bases.

I know where I can buy any brand new Winchester barrel if I supply the old one and when you get it back you cannot tell it was made yesterday.

Ron
  9. redwing carson

I might also mention. The use of a reproduction stock on your Lang Luger causes it to fall under the BATF SBR rule. As such must be registered as such. If you have an orginal Luger stock it can be owned with out being registered. The SBR law Short Barreled Rifle exemptes orginal Lugers with orginal stocks. This rule applies to Lugers with reproduction stock. I know it is stupid but that is how it is.

RC
  10. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Redwing:
    Repro stocks are perfectly legal to own with appropriate lugers(without a need to register the gun as SBR) as long as the "artillery Luger" is mated with an "artillery repro stock" and the "navy luger" is mated with "navy luger repro stock" etc, etc, etc. But you cannot mate an Artillery Luger with a "navy style"repro stock.

regarding the holster question:
    Look at the " square" stitching patern on the closure strap where it attaches to the body of the holster - that pattern is incorrect for the WWI holsters and is the first sign of the reproduction holster.
    Both, drum mags and loading tools are being reproduced in numbers in Eastern Europe and look very good, except for a few minor incorrect details.
  11. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I'm with muddober on this one. I've seen a very few of these rigs as well as a couple reproduction holster/stock sets. I, with my small monitor screen and the long range photos would find it difficult to disqualify the originality of the items. Valbehaved, would you please share your misgivings? If authentic, the entire kit would be worth one heck of a lot of money. I've seen snail drum mags offered for sale in the $1K+ range.
  12. redwing carson

Valbehaved thx. I had a BATF agent tell me last Sunday that my Lang Luger was illegel. It has a reproduction Artly. Stock. Could you please tell me where I can get the laws that you stated. THX

RC
  13. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

val -
    Good info, thanks for the edjeekation.
  14. ejlvfr

ejlvfr New Member

Thanks for all of the information everyone! I am waiting for my dad to send my close-up pictures of everything so that I can get them on here...I really appreciate your expertise and assistance.

EJ
  15. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

As Redwing said, you didn't mention just how much was being asked for this rig. If it is under, say $1500, you're probably safe regardless of originality. (unless there are some condition issues we can't see.) Over that, find an expert for a closer look.
  16. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Redwing:
    You can call BATF central ofice and I am certain they can verify the information about luger stocks - I would suggest talking to someone in Firearms research division as they would the most qualified to answer your questions.
  17. ejlvfr

ejlvfr New Member

This is part of a multiple firearm package my dad is looking at, including the 1917 Luger as well. I'm not sure what the total package price is, he hasn't said yet....hopefully I can get that out of him soon.
  18. redwing carson

Val at this point I must say I am a little more than afraid to call them. THX

RC
  19. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Go to http://www.lugerforum.com/BATF2.html. That's the page I pulled up when trying to see whether a repro naval stock would be legal on a naval Luger - it is. It'll give you a starting point regarding BATF's regs on repro stocks.
  20. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Went looking for a copy of the 1981 BATF letter addressing repro stocks, and of course couldn't find it. Went to Google Web and tapped in "Repro naval stock legal on naval Luger", and was directed to Still's Luger forum page on which, after scrolling down through a bunch of posts, I found the link which brought up the ATF letter. The resident computer wizard's out of town, and without her talking me through things I can't pull up the letter and post it here. It's a really round-about way of doing it, but if you go the Google route you'll eventually get to the BATF letter regarding repro stocks.