Value Of 1886 Winchester

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by efogell, Jul 28, 2011.

1. efogell

efogell New Member

Looking for the aprox value of a 1886 lever action winchester with a nickle plated chamber that is partially worn off. Good bluing. has a winchester custom rear sight. .33 cal. Beautiful original stock I believe a 22" barrel and a 12" magazine Not certain if I'm measuring them correctly. Anyway the Serial No. is 119788. Not looking to sell it because it was handed down to me by my father, but the family is interested in its value to possibly get it insured.

Hope you can help.
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Sounds like a good rifle to know the value of....

Can you post several pictures of it? Some full length of each side, and close ups of markings. And pictures of the wood and sights. It is worth your time to do so for an accurate price to be given. These rifles are in the thousands normally, depending on the condition.

Regards, Kirk
  3. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

I have a gun just about like his but mine is a 40 82 cal with a 20 inch barrel has ivory inlay I beleive in the stock
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Nickel plated receivers are pretty rare on '86 Winchesters and would bring a premium even if the plating is partially worn off.

That rifle was made in 1899 (perhaps someone will verify that since those dates are in dispute) so it is not an antique under Federal law. Any value assessment will have to wait on good pictures.

Jim
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i make that number to be 1899 too start of year was 119193 end was 120572 and nickel plate only a couple hundred or so ( no real data on how many just a reference )
  6. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Sounds like an 86' Lightning. The old .33 WCF was the first .338 caliber hunting rifle. I know a few fellows who still use them for Elk in the Black Timber.:)
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The Lightning was a Colt pump. Hard to confuse that with a Winchester lever.
  8. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

Yes I know what the Colt pump was. Forgot easterners are not familer with the reference to the Light Mdl. short barreled .33 Mdle. 86. These were fast and light in and out of a saddle scabbard. Westerners refer to the Light Mdl. as a Lightning Carbine.:D
  9. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Serial No. 119788 was made in late 1899, but seeing the OP made this post a year ago, and his only post, I doubt he cares.
    JR 22, start a new thread for info on your rifle, and post some pics.
  10. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Let me add this for those that are still interested in this old topic... the serial number in question places the DOM in September of 1899... almost four full years before the 33 W.C.F. cartridge was introduced. I have doubts that the rifle in question is factory original.

As for the nickel plated receiver, I also doubt that it is the case either. An 1899 vintage Model 1886 receiver was standard with a case color finish. When the case colors wore off, it leaves behind a very shiny "nickel" looking surface.

In regards to a "Lightweight" Model 1886, there never was such a thing. Winchester did manufacture an "Extra Light Weight", with a 22" rapid taper barrel, in 45-70 only (though there are a few known and verified examples in other calibers, all of which were special ordered). The 33 W.C.F. caliber Model 1886 rifles have mistakenly been referred to as "Lightweight" rifles for decades by collectors due to their standard 24" round tapered nickel steel barrels. Winchester never cataloged or referred to them as a "Lightweight". Instead, they are listed as a ".33 Caliber Winchester Smokeless Model 1886 Rifle".

Bert H.