value of 1916 Luger ?Officer? Gun??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by back_woods_4life, Sep 10, 2012.

1. back_woods_4life

back_woods_4life New Member

tried to get some shots of the finish and the trigger and clip...once again, sorry for the camera phone images and poor lighting...im working on getting my drop light set up and taking good pictures with my digital camera. id like to show all the matching numbers, but my phone just wont take a good enough picture.

Attached Files:

2. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Well, the pictures are certainly better. What I see indicates some light rust and/or pitting on outer metal surfaces. Not unexpected with a pistol this age and nothing that can't be cleaned up easily. I'll stick with the value of around $2000 for now.

Get yourself some good gun oil and clean it well - all surfaces. That will not only clean it up some but will also keep the surfaces protected from rusting.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

There is something odd about that gun. The receiver has the notch at the front that was used with long barrel Lugers (for the rear sight leaf to clear), but the barrel is a 4". Further, the barrel appears to have no holster wear, while the sideplate shows the normal wear. My conclusion is that the barrel is a replacement. I think better pictures are needed especially of the numbers on the receiver, barrel, toggles, and magazine.

Jim
  4. back_woods_4life

ok ill get some better ones uploaded soon. the original holster was boxed up in the guys closet. it dry rotted over the years, but the gun was stored somewhere else and hasnt been in a holster until recently. it does have minor scuffs and blemishes, and the expected aging. but the number on the barrel matches all the other numbers on the gun.
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I wonder if it could be one of the Simpson re-works frm the 1920's that missed getting the "Double-Date". They used mixed parts and I believe they renumbered everything. That notch sure looks like it was an Artillery frame.
  6. back_woods_4life

i missed something. how is it that a replacement clip has the same matching number?. the locals told me it was the right one. and the numbers do match...
  7. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

It's called "force numbering" and could have been done during a rework.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I suspect that the barrel was replaced later, possibly in the U.S. It was pretty common, both in Germany and here, to number a replacement barrel to match the grip frame number, which is why GOOD pictures of the barrel number and grip frame number (the front of the grip frame).

FWIW, the Germans considered the master number to be the one in the front of the grip frame, just under the barrel. It is the number that has the suffix letter, if any. But the BATFE ruled that the receiver (the part the barrel screws into) is the gun because it can be fired by pressing on the sear without the grip frame being attached. But the receiver has only the number, not the suffix letter, so there is some confusion about which number is the correct one if they don't match. All the dealers I know record the grip frame number with suffix, plus the maker and date, since all that is needed for complete and unique identification.

Jim