value of 20 ga Rem 870 Wingmaster or Mossberg 500

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 9 fingers, Sep 13, 2009.

1. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

Hi, I am looking to buy either a Mossberg 500 or a Remington Wingmaster 870, both in 20 ga. What should I be paying for one with nice wood and in general good condition, maybe 80 to 90% overall? Either one get the nod in overall quality? Is 16 ga going to be cheaper due to being less popular?
    Thanks,
    9 fingers
  2. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

Well, no replys and that is OK. I called my gunsmith on the way to a 3 shop tour, where I was hoping to find one of the above and he had just gotten out one of his 200 to 300 guns (he is not sure) and was very irritated that it had gotten some moisture and corrosion on a patch of the barrel. Then he mentioined it was an Ithaca 37 20 ga pump, exactly what I was looking for. So, never made it to the shop and now I own my 1st Ithaca and it is a beauty. The corrosion is minor and I can live with it.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

I can't fault you choice of an Ithaca.

Although I live a few miles from the Remington plant where the Model 870 is made, the Ithaca Model 37 is my favorite pump shotgun. It was a sad day when the old M37 was discontinued.
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Well sounds like you came out good with the Ithaca! Good to hear.
    I borrowed a 870 Wingmaster 20ga to hunt with one year, and man...it was sweet! And went out and bought a 12ga Mossberg 500 one day just because I didnt ever own one and thought what the heck....well lets just say on the Mossberg 500...musta just got a bad one....brought it home, shot tru all 3 chokes (that was on a wednesday) Sunday I sold it in the local paper...took a $20 loss on it but it was worth it to get 80% of my money back! It ruined me on Mossberg 500's. But have several other Mossbergs and they all are GREAT guns!