Value of a Colt 1911 Commemorative

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by skylar957, Oct 6, 2009.

1. skylar957

skylar957 New Member

Can anyone give me an approximate value of a Colt 1911 A1 US Navy SeaBees Commemorative, Gold engraving, Gold Trigger, and Name of Serviceman engraved on the slide. Unfired in Original display case. I think it is #17 out of 300. I am looking to sell and can't find this Commemorative model in any of my books. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks....Skylar957
  2. RJay

RJay Active Member

It could very well not be a commemorative, but rather a special issue from the Colt custom shop. An association will order X many special firearms for their members. I can not find it in any of my books either. With the name engrave on it, I believe that's what you have. It could also have been made for a Distributor such as Lew Horton or Talo. If it were a commemorative, with the engraving, it loses about 50 per-cent of it's value. As a special issue, well without pictures it would be difficult to place a value on it. Now, I'm not being a smart a$$ when I ask this, are you sure it's a Colt. This forum has had similar inquiries, and it turned out to be Franklin mint Issues. Double check and please post pictures.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  3. skylar957

skylar957 New Member

4. RJay

RJay Active Member

It sure enough appears to be a Colt, at least I can see Hartford. Commissioned by the American Historical Foundation, so it is not a Colt commemorative but a special issue form the custom shop. Going for it, very pretty, it is a Colt. Against, it's too pretty to be a shooter, but it would only appeal to Louis Miller's descendant's. It's not really a collectible. Perhaps someone on the forum has more input but I'm afraid this is one of those items that you will never achieve it's true value. Me, myself and I would value it at no more than 1000 to 1500. Thats just my opinion and I hope someone will chime in with more info or ideals on the value.:confused:
  5. skylar957

skylar957 New Member

I noticed the American Historical Foundation also and did find their Website. They no longer list the Seabees Model but most of what they have is right around 1-2 Thousand. As to the Miller reference, I bought this gun at a Local Gun Auction where they Auctioned off all of the Deceased Miller's Firearms. So I figured non of the Family would be interested. I think this is a Beautiful 1911 but One I would never fire, So I am going to try and sell or trade it for a Shooter Luger or something. Thanks for all your help. I have a few more Long Guns that may need help IDing and I will list Tomorrow. Thanks.....Steve
  6. Dennisb9132

Dennisb9132 New Member

When they were brand new they were about $1100.00 unfired in the case. It is in fact a commemorative M1911 that was offered to the Navy Seabee and Civil Engineering community. Do you know if it has been fired and or taken care of? That could alter the price considerably.

As a retired Seabee I have put out some feelers for information on what you could equitably do with it. As some others have noted there are a number of things that affect the end price.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Since it is a Colt, they would have a record of the sale and a Colt letter might add to the value. Also, the "AF" serial prefix was used on guns sold on special order to Abercrombie and Fitch, so it is possible those guns were bought through that company and that they had the custom work done. If so, a letter to A&F might get more information. The CB association would be another source of information, since they commissioned the guns.

If possible, see if you can locate the service record of the Mr. Miller; most are available on the net, but you might have to take a bit of time since the name is so common. Also, if you have a copy of the auction announcement, that also will add to the value.

When selling something like this, that type of documentation is important, and adds to the value beyond the cost of getting it.

Jim
  8. RJay

RJay Active Member

Jim, it was stamped on the gun " American Historical Foundation " and was listed on the Web site ( at one time, this post is 3 years old) :D "
  9. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Im glad you brought up the date of this post....I just sent him a PM...I will be waiting a long time for an answer. :(
    He hasnt been around since october
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Darn, I do that all the time. I need to start looking at the dates.

Jim