value of a Marlin 336 in .219 zipper

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Steely, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Steely

Steely New Member

can anyone give me the value of my
    Marlin 336 in .219 zipper?
    condition is poor,
    lots of surface rust, but in working condition
    thanks
    Steely
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

What you've got is a Model 336 MicroGroove Zipper. They were made only from 1955 to 1959.

The Standard Catalog of Firearms values it (in Poor condition) at $150.

If it has a standardweight, not heavyweight barrel, and has an "M" prefix code number, you can double that value.
  3. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

As usual, I find myself agreeing with Xracer. However, take a good look at the rifling ... the Zipper tended to tear-up those Marlin barrels. As a result, the gun may be worth little or nothing.
  4. 22Remjet

22Remjet New Member

Steely ,
    I have a T/C Super 14 and a Marlin Lever Action in the 219 Zipper . I have never shot eather of them . It's really hard to find the amo and when you do ,.....Were talking 50 to 60 bucks an OLD BOX .
    About the Marlin , Their were 3,230 of these things made . The first 1,000 had standard barrells . The other 2,230 were made with heavy barrells . Why ? The bullet wasn't very inaccurate so the thought if the barrell was heavy it would help it out .
    Not , it had nothing to do with the thickness of the barrell , it was their Micro groove . It turned out to be to much for the 219's speed . Thats why when they came out with the 17HMR it was a contracted barrell , it does not have a Micro Groove . If it did , that little .174 would be all over the place .
    The first 1000 are worth more do to their quanity , as are the last 2,230 . In my book , they should be worth more than the Winchester . Granted , they do not shoot near as well as the Winchesters but I'm a firm believer , like anything else , the harder to find , the less there are the higher the price .
    It works for everything else . By the way Marlins have a letter attached to the SN , Thats the month they were made . I am very proud of mine , the SN is U104 . That would be August of 60 . The last month they ever made this Wild Cat ,.....Hang on to it or sell it high ! Later, 22Remjet
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2008