value of a winchester 1886

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JR_22, Jul 21, 2012.

1. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

+-

I have a winchester 1886 40 82 cal it has 20 inch barrel with either ivory or bone inlay on the stock and forearm. The serial number is 64006 the gun is tight and smooth, its one thing to even own a 1886 but to own one that stands out among them is really a great feeling.
  2. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

Im new here will try to post pics
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Click the blue "post reply" button, instead of using the "quick reply" box.

That will open another box. At the top of it, in the icon, next to the smiley face, is a paper clip. Click on it.

That will open another box that will allow you to upload, from your computer, a maximum of 4 pictures.

If you have more, just post the first four and do more on another reply.
  4. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

I have a winchester 1886 40 82 cal it has 20 inch barrel with either ivory or bone inlay on the stock and forearm. The serial number is 64006 the gun is tight and smooth, its one thing to even own a 1886 but to own one that stands out among them is really a great feeling.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  5. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

6. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

7. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

hope these are good enough
  8. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

9. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

I beleave the receiver was nichol platted at one time
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That rifle was made in 1892. I doubt the receiver was nickel plated; it was most likely color case hardened, which was the standard finish on that model at that time.

Unfortunately, those inlays are not factory; they appear to have been done by a previous owner and, rather than increasing the value, actually reduce it. In that condition, and with the inlay "enhancement" I would value that gun at $1200 or so. Let's see what others say.

Jim
  11. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I wouldn't count too much on that the barrel hasn't been cut.
    A rifle butt and no saddle ring points to a chop job. The only hope would be a factory letter showing a special order as 20" is not any of the standard lengths.

All that said, I still wouldn't mind owning it. Somebody was quite proud of it and put alot of work into the mods........
  12. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

I didn"t figure the inlays were factory but do know the government gave out a rifle every now in then to indian cheifs the thought that could have been where the inlays had come from is pretty kool, maybe I will go though the cody book of records sometime but you couldn"t touch this gun for 1200, and they did come out with 20 inch barrels
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  13. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

JR 22,

That rifle was originally built and shipped with a standard 26" barrel. It has positively been cut down to its current length. Contact the Cody Firearms Museum research office and purchase a factory letter if you still have doubts.

The date of manufacture was January 1892. As such, I very much doubt that it was a "government gift to an indian chief". More than likely it was the handy work of a previous owner. As was pointed out by Jim K. the receiver frame was originally case color finished. When the color is worn off, the receiver becomes a bright "silvery" or "nickel" looking color.

Due to the extensive non-factory alterations, the collector value is almost non-existant. That is not to say that it has no value though. I highly suspect that somebody out there would be willing to pay more than $1200 for it, more than likely something in the $1600 - $1800 range to an interested buyer of western art. However, rest assured that it is no longer a truly valueable Winchester.

Bert
  14. Airdale

Airdale Member

Scuuzze me but what I see is a Piece of Americana, You Know...Guys that "hot rod" their guns. Sorry to the "Oh No they Changed the Original" Crowd but it is a beautiful example of American individuality and creativity. It's one of a kind and that makes it a rare and unique piece of history.
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Undoubtedly true. But unfortunately for that viewpoint, collectors are the ones with the money and collectors buy originality, not "American individuality and creativity."

Jim