value of a winchester 1886

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JR_22, Jul 21, 2012.

1. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

Well thanx for the insight, I have a small collection myself and its kinda like what airdale is saying theres just a peace of what some us are in the gun, I know it turns a lot of heads like a butiful women does.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

What Jim says is true.

I have a Model 28 S&W. About 5 years ago I bought it for around 250 bucks. They are currently selling in the 450-500 price range. Great investment. Doubled my money. Except - immediately upon receiving my gun I shipped it to a gunsmith in Texas, where, for 400 dollars, he converted it to 38/40.

Now, my gun is not worth the 650 dollars I have in it. It is not worth the 450 Model 28s are selling for. It is not even worth the 250 I paid for it. Unless I can find some other damn fool that wanted a 4" N frame in 38/40, it is worth nothing.

Custom work may be pretty. And custom work may make you happy.

But custom work totally devalues the gun.
  3. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

well I can see what your saying alpo but you had the gun altered verses someone a hundred years ago
  4. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

maybe the previous owner did or didn't do the work on the gun bert but you don't know that you can doubt what ever you want, I though the indian cheif out there just to make a point condition and history is everything a collector is looking for it comes down to who owned the gun.
  5. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

I love love it because its different theres not a whole lot of difference between a $1200 to $5000 gun but the condition. The big boys have a rating system abcd&f and in between each letter they score these guns and I doubt very much if they would fool around with a gun much under 5 grand anyway I must have given the wrong inpression about the gun its a rare looking peace to me and thats all that matters.
  6. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

That is where you are dead wrong... I do know for a fact that the alteration work done to that old Winchester was most definitely not factory work. That only leaves a former owner to blame. As for you last statement, that too is not true. True Winchester collectors are not concerned with who "might" have owned a specific gun. What is required, is irrefutable proof of who owned the gun, otherwise, it is just a "story". The graded condition and the factory originality are what drive the collector interest and the corresponding value.

Bert Hartman
    WACA #6571L (Life member)
    WACA Historian
    CFM Member (1992)
    Co-author "The RED BOOK of Winchester Values"
  7. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

you said the last owner buddy altered the gun you dont know thats for sure and it does matter who and when they done it
  8. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Maybe it was altered by Buffalo Bill Cody for his Wild West Show in fron of the Queen of England.
    Now if you can prove that you have something, otherwise I could do the same thing to one of my Winchesters and make up a story and sell it for a whole lot more than it's worth. In the collector field it is "You have to prove your story" NOT "I have to disprove your story".
  9. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Your reading skills are now questionable... I most clearly stated "More than likely it was the handy work of a previous owner".

This will be my final statement to you... You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and that is what you are trying to do with that gun.

Bert H.
  10. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

I didn't beleave for once that the inlays were factory you just want argue .deadin comment about cody was insulting but true if you can prove someone like him owned it, so that would make who owns the gun does matter. You don't have any history without proof bert and I didn't make any claims about the gun only that it turned heads someone put alot work in that old gun and I like it, The sows ear comment was stupid and im done talking about it to you too.
  11. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I don't believe that anyone said the the previous owner doesn't matter.
    What was said that speculation about who possibly could have been a previous owner is meaningless unless there is solid proof that it was owned by someone famous (or infamous..;))

I've any number of guns that "could" have been owned by someone famous, but no matter how much I fantasize it just doesn't make it so.
    I have several 19th Century pistols that I do know (and have proof) who originally owned them, but unfortunately they were nobodies, so the added value is minimal.
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If a gun like that can be bought cheaply enough, a new stock and foreend can be fitted and if the job is done right will look good and bring the value up quite a bit, though not to the level of an untouched gun. Were the barrel not cut, it would be a candidate for a good restoration job.

Jim
  13. TTE

TTE Member

You ask for a value, then argue with those you ask.

You make statements like you know more than they do. And if you do, that's fine, ...... but then, why did you ask the question of what it's worth to start with ?
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

jr i love the inlay
  15. marshfellow

marshfellow Member

TTE,

............thank you, that needed to be said.

tjw