value of a winchester 1886

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by JR_22, Jul 21, 2012.

1. TTE

TTE Member

As stated perviously, anything is collectable. Some collections are worth considerably more than others.

However, sometimes that is a difficult premise to realize when you are personally involved in the collecting.

Thanks for the link -

Now that you pointed out this link, I must reconsider what was perviously posted.

Even though you have removed the photos of your rifle (for an older guy, I have a reasonable memory) .... now that I think about it and visualize it in my mind .......... you were correct, ..... your rifle is worth at least a gaziliion $'s and not a cent less (please mail me a 1% evaluation/appraisal fee at your convenience, thanks).

Now, .... here's a link for you -

To save you time, I posted part of what it says there ......

Originality – The piece must have all of the attributes of the weapon as it was received from the factory when new. Refinished steel and/or wood surfaces, altered components, cut down or replaced barrel, magazine, stock, replaced screws, etc., will materially diminish collector value.

http://www.winchestercollector.org/faq.shtml
  2. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

I posted it to show that people do collect these guns and where to go to read what they were saying about it. Some of description they were giving wasn't much different from what I had said, but I was made fun of. The gun above from what you are saying is not your original winchester. But it is very collectable tte your the one who wants to argue.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  3. TTE

TTE Member

I don't want to argue.

You asked for a value, got opinions and didn't like them. Opinions were given, then you argued that you knew more than the people you asked.

You are the one that keeps trying to justify that your rifle is collectable.

So the question remains, why did you ask for a value, if you already knew more about collecting than those you asked ?

You seem to have ignored the previous statements that anything is collectable, however, your rifle does not meet the definition of a classic collectable.

If you drilled 5 - one half inch holes in the butt stock (looking like the Olympic rings), I'm sure you could find some one that collected those kinds of rifles.

You think your rifle is collectable ...... great, super, fantastic !

When time rolls around for you to sell it, or your heirs, we will see who's opinion was the most informed and valid, ........... yours, or those you asked here.
  4. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

As I said before, "anything is collectible by someone" (I even heard of a guy that collected belly-button lint.........) Anyway what the members of this board are trying to say is that your rifle is not really collectible by a Winchester collector because of its non-originality. (There are those that wouldn't mind having it, but wouldn't be willing to pay any kind of a premium for the privilege.)
    That being said, I'm sure there is some group of collectors that would be interested in it, just not main-line gun collectors. Whatever group it is will probably be of a much smaller population and thereby the demand will be smaller because of the fewer members. Were it mine I think I would be looking in the Folk-Art area or something similar.....
  5. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

I know deadin thats why I said there is more than one type of collector out there and posted that gun because what they had said was kind of like what I had said, people like tt just keeps it going and I've had some fun with it too,
  6. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

So, are you admitting to a little bit of trollism????:mad:
  7. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

So, you finally figured it out... I saw the behavior pattern much sooner:lmao::lmao:

Bert H.
  8. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I had spotted it much earlier. Thought I would just feed him until he admitted it...
  9. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

You guys just don't stop do you, I think we could put that label on you guys instead.
  10. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Bingo!!!
  11. JR_22

JR_22 New Member

trollism now thats one you don't hear every day. Big words must make some people feel important.
  12. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

It isn't exactly a big word... and any comments coming from "newby" (put your name here), are questionable until proven otherwise. deadin has been a member of this forum since 2006, and I have been here since 2004. Internet "Trolls" are short-lived due to their inability to play well with others.

Bert H.
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, JR 22,

FWIW, I don't think you are a troll, a person who posts with the intent of antagonizing or attacking others. I think you lucked into a Winchester rifle that has seen use and been worked on, but then romanticized about it until you convinced yourself that it is something special and valuable. Believe me, that is a very common situation and nothing to be ashamed of. But some pretty knowledgeable people have rained on your parade, so the best thing to do is accept that your rifle is not a high-end collectible. It certaiinly has some history, and it might even have some association that would make it a true collectible, but without solid proof of something like that, it will remain just one of many thousands of old rifles that have little or no collector interest.

I believe it is time to put this thread to rest. How about it?

Jim
  14. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Or as a friend of mind used to say " it is time to put the horse in the barn ":eek: