Value of Ansley H Fox Gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by spoooky2, Sep 14, 2005.

1. spoooky2

spoooky2 New Member

I have a side by side shotgun that has serial number "A 2177". The top of the barrel says " Krupp Fluid Steel made by A H Fox Gun Co Phila. Pa. The inside of the reciever says "Pat'd August 1 1905 then under that it says Oct 17, 1905- Jan. 16, 1905". The gun has not been reblued or refinished and doesn't have any major scratches and no rust on the inside or outside. There is hand engraving and hand checkering but it is not ornate and doesn't contain any figures just light ourlining around the edges of the reciever and the finger gaurd.

I was wondering if this was one of the more valuable Fox guns made before Savage and what the range would be for the value.

Thanks
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Spoooky.......welcome to TFF! :)

The "A" grade Fox's were made from 1906 to 1942 and were the plainest shotguns they made......but they still have good value.

What guage is your Fox.....and, does it have a beavertail forearm?
  3. Laxcoach

Laxcoach Member

A slight correction--- the A Grade was the lowest of the "graded" Foxes. The Sterlingworth was the lowest. Your gun most likely was a first-year production, judging from the serial number, and was built with short chambers. A more detailed evaluation of condition is needed to give you a ballpark value.
  4. spoooky2

spoooky2 New Member

It is a 12 guage.

I am not sure what a beavertail forearm looks like. This forearm is very small and thin.

As to the condition, it is in very good condition with no rust or pitting an no scratches. It has a look that it has been used but not not misused. I know my father had it and before him, my grandfather had it and I never saw either of them use it for the over 45 years that I can remember. It was my great-grandfather's shotgun and I have pictures of him standing with this gun next to his first deer when he was around 20 years old. It may have even been his fathers gun. I have always admired the gun and it was promised to me by my grandfather and my father. My father just passed away so it was handed down to me recently. The gun is not for sale, I was just interested in it's value.
  5. spoooky2

spoooky2 New Member

Since the serial number starts with an "A", does that mean it is a model A?
  6. spoooky2

spoooky2 New Member

Re: Value of Ansley H Fox Gun

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a 12 guage.

I am not sure what a beavertail forearm looks like. This forearm is very small and thin.

As to the condition, it is in very good condition with no rust or pitting an no scratches. It has a look that it has been used but not not misused. I know my father had it and before him, my grandfather had it and I never saw either of them use it for the over 45 years that I can remember. It was my great-grandfather's shotgun and I have pictures of him standing with this gun next to his first deer when he was around 20 years old. It may have even been his fathers gun. I have always admired the gun and it was promised to me by my grandfather and my father. My father just passed away so it was handed down to me recently. The gun is not for sale, I was just interested in it's value.

Since the serial number starts with an "A", does that mean it is a model A?
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I'm assuming that the A indicates an A-grade, and that serial number would indicate a very early gun, made in 1907......only a year after the company was founded.

Bluebook values for a 12 ga. A Grade:

98% - $2,175
    95% - $1,875
    90% - $1,625
    80% - $1,375
    70% - $1,075

Add $200-$1,000 for beavertail forearm, depending on grade.

Sounds like you've got a really nice shotgun.
  8. ronnie bb

ronnie bb New Member

i have a a h fox does any body know what model i might have with a serial number it is in show room condidtion all hand engraved condidtion i think its a very rare fox its got a single trigger and auto ejects it has been in my family since day one was bought in new jersey and was made in philly. 29758 this seems to be a custom gun made by fox. all the parts on the gun has the same number. walnut stock. the nices looking fox i have seen so far. or maybe some one can tell me how to look for a model on it it has so other letters and number under the forehand grip when you break the gun down. also has alot of paten numbers on the inside of some parts.
  9. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Ronnie bb,

Your A. H. Fox with serial number 29758 would be a 12 gauge and if it has a Selective Single Trigger and Automatic Ejectors, I would guess it would be a B grade or higher: C, X, D or F.

When you break the gun down to its 3 main pices: fore end, barrels and receiver; that will expose some info on the flat part of the receiver where the barrels would set (known as the water table); serial numer, letter grade and patent info. There would also be a serial number, grade and probably a mark "FOX PROOF" stamped on the barrels flats. The letter that's stamped there is the grade: A, B, C, X, D or F in ascending order of quality and price.

Depending on how nice your gun is, it could be worth a bit of money. Important with older collector guns including your Fox is original condition. Any refinished or altered parts greatly reduces their value. So keep it clean, resist any temptation to refinish the wood or have parts of it reblued, or shorten the barrels or shorten the stock or . . . etc.

Pictures are a great help if you have any of those.

If you have pictures, I can help post them for you. Send me a note thru my profile for more detailed info.

You have a very nice gun that was made in the late 1920's.

Jolly
  10. 4bradfords

4bradfords New Member

Hi,I just picked up a A.H.Fox 20 gauge double barrel shotgun with the model BE#201450 on the gun.If anyone knows anything about the value of this gun please help me out.It looks to have some handlin wear but shot very little.It has some initials under the double trigger ring so I think it was a custom made gun.Please help
  11. dpesce

dpesce New Member

It's kind of spooky that I just inherited a couple of side x sides that I am doing research on and found a post from Spoooky2 from September '05 regarding my same gun, but with a serial code only 10 digits off. My A.H. Fox has a serial number of "A 2177". The top of the barrel says " Krupp Fluid Steel made by A H Fox Gun Co Phila. Pa. The inside of the reciever says "Pat'd August 1 1905 then under that it says Oct 17, 1905- Jan. 16, 1905". Unfortunately the gun is in imaculate condition and some of the etching is hard to read, which makes me believe it was refinished and the etching was buffed down slightly. It also has sling ring mounted to the barrel and stock. This is a 12 gauge.

I have attached two pictures. Can anyone tell me the approximate value of this gun?

Attached Files:

12. dpesce

dpesce New Member

My serial number is actually A2167 not 2177.
  13. fox-admin

fox-admin New Member

$1200-$2500 depending on condition.
  14. jefferyshaw

jefferyshaw New Member

jolly i am a little new to old guns.i followed your advice and fired some trap loads through my fox.about steel shot,how about bizmuth?or should i not use the gun for waterfowl? thanks again jefferyshaw@ jefferys49@yahoo.com
  15. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Jeffrey,

I wouldn't shoot steel shot thru your old Fox. Barrels are a little soft for steel.

I think a brand called "Nice Shot" is suitable for old doubles. There are probably others as well.

Jolly