1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Value of antique S&W (Model 3 .44 American?)

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mtallman, Nov 2, 2011.

1. mtallman

mtallman New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some information on this old S&W revolver, and have heard good things about this forum in regards to antique guns.

[​IMG]

Here is an album with more pictures (in case there are 56k guys). http://imageshack.us/g/88/p1030364mg.jpg/

According to my research so far, I believe I have identified it as a Model 3 First American in .44 (American). However, I am not positive on this. The chambers are bored straight through, not only part way (as I believe .44 Russians were).

A bit on the gun:

The top of the barrel is marked "SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS. U.S.A. PAT. JULY 10. 60. JAN. 17. FEB. 17. JULY 11. 65 & AUG. 24. 69".

The serial number is 3390, as stamped on the but, and is also stamped on one of the grips (on the inside surface). Additionally, there is a "TO" stamped on the cylinder face, locking latch, and upper assembly (right by the locking latch).

In terms of function, the extractor and hammer/trigger work well, however, the cylinder doesn't revolve reliably. I suspect the part that rotates the cylinder is damaged. The gun locks up tight with very little cylinder wobble.

I am looking to sell this revolver, and am looking for any input on its market value. I will be checking this thread frequently, and can answer any questions and/or provide specific pictures of details.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Matt
  2. dustydog

dustydog New Member

Without seeing it in person,and without doing the replacement of the hand (rotates the cylinder) a good looking shootable 3rd like this should bring an easy $2000.
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, and your first model American appears to have had little use; the recoil shield shows little if any evidence of firing.

The .44 American round used a heeled bullet of outside diameter nearly equal to case diameter, and the straight bored chambers are correct. The .44 Russian round has a larger case diameter.

The current Flayderman's guide lists value range from $1250 for Good condition to $3750 for Fine condition, and yours probably needs appraisal by one of the large auction houses.