Value of Bayard Arms Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mitch, Oct 17, 2009.

1. mitch

mitch New Member

Hi,

I have a Bayard Arms double barrel shotgun that was given to my grandfather by one of Judge Roy Bean's deputies (as legend has it). My mother said his name was Sam Caldwell and he lived across the street from my Grandfather at one time in Texas. It is the Patent 488366 Decb 20 1882 model and I believe it isnt worth all that much.. but I was curious if it would be worth anything since it was used by one of Judge Roy Bean's deputies...if he really had any? I dont see how I could prove it, but just the same I have always been curious to know.

Thanks
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

There is no way to determine who owned the shotgun in the past other than hearsay. I'm sorry but the value of your shotgun { other than a keep sake with a family story} is that of an old Belgium shotgun. Not knowing the condition I will guess a Bayard shotgun { at least he was proud enough of it to sign his name }. in excellent condition might bring 250 to someone who collects "Named " Belgium shotguns.
  3. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

I would second what Ron said about value. I picked up what I thought was a beautiful 12ga Bayard SxS because it had the FN stamp. I left it in a popular Gun store for close to a yr & wound up selling it for what I paid for it.... $200. If I hadn't neeeded the $$$ @ the time I'd still own it. :(

If it [your Bayard] has a family story & was mine, I'd just hang it on the wall & show it off.
    (But that's me :rolleyes:)

Welcome to the forum!

SR