value of Chinese SKS

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by clmanges, Feb 18, 2007.

1. clmanges

clmanges New Member

I don't have this gun, but a friend of mine bought one of the Chinese SKS's, way back when the market was flooded with 'em and you could get one everywhere for $99 (the price he paid).
    Here's the peculiar part. He told me he was talking with someone about it, and the guy asked him if all the serial numbers matched, indicating that it had not been modified. When my friend told him that the numbers all matched, he says the guy offered him $350 for it, claiming that all-original models were rare.
    Is this true?
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I don't know the exact values but $350 isn't bad, an all original all matching SKS is very rare, but only if it is an exact matching SKS. Most of them have been electro penciled with matching numbers
  3. new sks 2005

new sks 2005 New Member

i bought my chinese sks for 200.00 and it has all numbers matching just keep looking and youll find a good one:D 350.00 is way too high:eek:
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I agree, $200 t0 $250 is absolute max. However, if it is a paratrooper version or the rare type which accepts 30 round AK magazines, it could easily cost $350 or more. Incidentally, when originally sold, the Chinese SKS rifles all had matching numbers.
  5. Annie Oakley

Annie Oakley New Member

I've paid $175-$225 for the 2 Chinese SKS's I own. Both are all matching. Both have previously unkown factory codes.

My understanding is that the "Paratrooper" version is nothing more than a modification made to appeal to the American market. It was never issued to the Chinese military. http://www.simonov.net/ubertypes.htm .

IMO, this actually detracts from the value. I wouldn't pay anywhere near as much for a "Paratrooper" or other non-military version as I would for the real thing.
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Absolutely correct, the paratrooper version was made for the American market, also the chrome plated "dress" version. Nevertheless, they both bring pretty high prices.
  7. durk

durk New Member

Just keep looking? I don't think he was looking to buy, from what I read.
    Max? He was offered $350 isn't that better than $250?
    I think there has been a failure to communicate.:)
  8. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Back in the day I bought my 4 Norinco SKSs for $129 ea. The store was breaking open crate after crate of 'em. I think there were 5 rifles per crate. People were buying several rifles each & I saw one old farmer buy 12 cases of yellow box Norinco ammo for him & his kids. There were smart aleck guys by the counter telling us all who were buying them that the only thing to have for an SKS was the Russian paratrooper that was all milled & had blade bayonets. The store owner was telling us that we were gettin the "pinned" cheap style barrels but that we should just be happy to get a rifle that would shoot 1000 rounds that we could then throw away. I took mine home & was impressed that all 4 shot right to point of aim straight from the crate brand new. I've never used the site tool I bought. I did put a combat exchange stock one one of mine & it rides in my truck. That rifle has over 2k rounds thru it now & still shoots great.

Popgunner
  9. R 54 SKS

R 54 SKS New Member

witch one costs more russian sks or chinnes
  10. southernshooter

The russians usually cost more but My chinese has outshot a many of the Ruskys. And typically the cheapest is Yugo's
  11. WarSteed

WarSteed New Member

Hey..an sks thread.. maybe i can hijack this one.

Can someone tell me the common ways to differentiate between an arsenal and refurbished rusky sks?

I've read that electopenciling the numbers vs metal stamping is one way. Others?
  12. southernshooter

That is usually the number one way Warsteed if the serial numbers al over the gun have been electropenciled it has been refurbished.
  13. rvillador

rvillador New Member

I live in California, can I buy an sks and have it shipped to my local ffl dealer? How much $$ are we talking about to buy one?
    thanking you in advance --- Ray