Value of Colt .45 SAA

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by vetz76, Jan 9, 2009.

1. vetz76

vetz76 New Member

I have a Colt .45 SAA with W F & CO stamped on the butt. I also have a letter from Colt Mfg. authenticaing the gun as one shipped to Wells Fargo in 1906. The gun appears to be all original with no rust and I would say 50% of the original finish. Bore is in very nice condition, no pitting and everything functions perfectly.
    Value?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

3. vetz76

vetz76 New Member

Thanks.
    I believe it to be authentic. I was the person who asked Colt mfg. for the letter to confirm the history of the gun. It is my understanding that W.M. Ashton was the Purchasing Agent at Wells Fargo at that time and guns were shipped to his attention.
    My father traded or bought this gun either in the 60's or 70's, I forget if it was the one he traded a .22 semiauto rifle for or the one he paid $50 for, either way it was a deal!
    There is no way I would part with this gun short of prying it out of my cold dead hand. I would like to know an approximate value for insurance purposes.
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

An educated guess would be that your Colt would be worth in excess of $7,500.00. While I am mostly a Winchester collector I have a few old Colts and as such I just have a little flavor for Colt values, meaning it could be worth far more than that. I know it is not worth any less as I would probably give $7,500.00 for it.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Feller that I know that is a Colt collector opined 5000 to 8500 would not be an unreasonable purchase price. With that in mind, I would insure it for at least 10,000.
  6. RJay

RJay Active Member

By the way, where do you live, the city, street and house number. Also do you keep it in a gun safe of maybe just in the hall closet? Also , just curious, is there any time during the day when every one is gone and the house empty? :cool:
  7. vetz76

vetz76 New Member

Levenworth!! Easy to get in, hard to get out!:D
  8. vetz76

vetz76 New Member

Thanks to you all for your input. You have confirmed what I had figured the value might be.