value of colt pistols??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sluggermn, Dec 9, 2006.

1. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

I have a friend of a friend who is selling a crate of 1911 colts in .45 caliber
    the only thing I know about them is when he got out of the navy he bought the case of them (mil surplus) they are still in the cosmoline and are numbered sequentally.
    any idea what the value might be??
    are they more valuable as a group or should he sell them individually?

Thanks for any help you can give... I know I did not give you alot to go on but I will update as soon as I know more info.

slugger
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

If they're still in cosmoline and numbered sequentally, that means that they're factory new and never issued. Value would depend on manufacturer, and if they're a rare variation, pre-WW-II issue, or are blue, not parkerized.

For standard WW-II issue M1911-A1s in 100% condition....

Colt - $1,600
    Ithaca - $1,500
    US&S - $2,650
    Remington-Rand - $1,400
    Singer - Name your own price.

Sequentially numbered guns sold in pairs, or 3s or 4s would bring quite a bit more.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Sounds like he is settin on a nice chunk of change
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

A little early for an April Fools Day joke. This story is as old as the hills. Nice try.
  5. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

unfortinutally it was not a joke, and the friend that told me about them waited too long and the guy sold them all for 400 each.
    thanks any way!
    slugger
  6. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Fact: The U.S. government never sold 1911 pistols to private parties. The only sales occurred in the 50s and 60s by the N.R.A. and these were for arsenal reworked pistols only, and they were sold singly for approximately $25each. I know, because I bought and still have two of them.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  7. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Still sounds like a fairy tale to me.
  8. sluggermn

sluggermn New Member

either way its a moot point, he has none left to sell.
    cant believe I missed that one!!
    slugger
  9. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

The Gov. was broke after the war and sold off a lot of surplus. I beleive the arsenal tha sold .45s was R.I.A. They sold individual pistols, new and used, for about $17.50. Some distributors bought dozens and sold them through catalogs, like the one I have that was $29.50 with their markup. The Ordance Dept. never sold, or authorized selling "cases", whatever that is, of weapons.