Value of Colt US Army 38 Model 1901 Picture

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by chuckusaret, Nov 30, 2009.

1. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

I have tried several time to submit a picture to no avail, my last try.

Attached Files:

2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It would seem that your last try worked. Sometimes it is hard to figure how to post stuff on forums. Nice piece.
  3. jondar

jondar New Member

Well $300 would be a place to start. A pristine one would bring more, a fair one less.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Now just need a serial number or at least partial. Any more pics now that you've got the uploading mastered? ;) Given just one pic, I'd say that I agree with Jon, $300 is a good ballpark for what I see.
  5. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

Sorry that I did reply sooner, been out of town. The serial number is 168XXX.

Thank you guys for your input and I'll take some more pictures....
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

And it was made in 1901 (148000 to 180000).
  7. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

I had the gun appraised by a local expert and his comment was, "if the cylinder lock up was better it would be in the $1,000 range but as is it is it is in the $450 to $800 range". I plan on keeping the weapon and will request its history from Colt.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Cylinder lockup was a chronic problem with those guns. There are two areas that give the most problems. One is the cylinder bolt that drops into the front notches. Its spring often breaks and it won't function. The other is the cylinder latch, which also serves to keep the cylinder from rotating backward when the bolt is disengaged. The actual cylinder stop is the top part of the trigger.

Jim
  9. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

Thanks for the info. After taking it to a local large gun store the so called gunsmith stated that the lock up was not repairable, I decided to call Colt. I described the weapon and the lock up problem to a person at Colt and he stated that it was repairable and I should send the weapon to them for a rebuild estimate. He also stated that the factory rebuild would add to the value of a very much sought after collectible hand gun. The Christmas season is presently conflicting with my plan.
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Incredible! I had no idea Colt was able or willing to repair those guns. They should do a land office business as there are a lot of broken ones out there.

Please let us know how things work out.

Jim
  11. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

Yes. They will inspect the weapon, identify parts/cost/ labor and notify me. If I elect to not have the weapon repaired I will be charged for the estimate, if I elect to have it repaired they will provide an estimated completion date.
  12. Hurryin' Hoosier

Hurryin' Hoosier New Member

FYI, I also have a Colt Model 1901 DA .38 which has a "timing" problem (i.e., it would shave a bit of lead off the left side of the bullet when entering the end of the barrel). I, too, contacted Colt's service department (twice, as a matter of fact) and was told that Colt no longer offers service or repair on revolvers this old (due to difficulty obtaining parts, which I thought was odd). They referred me to a gunsmith up in Churubusco, Indiana. I called him and was told that it should be a relatively inexpensive fix. My old war-horse is now winging her way north via UPS.