Value of commemerative winchester 94?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by smoke-pole, Nov 5, 2012.

1. smoke-pole

smoke-pole New Member

This gun is a winchester 94 in 38-55win. It is an Oliver F. Winchester comm. The woodwork is absolutely beautiful walnut with all gold engraved reciever,trigger,forend cap etc. The gun belongs to a friend of mine and is 100% new, unfired in the box with tags still hanging on the loop. the serial number is OFW5989. I can probably get pics if needed later on this weekend. I am interested in the gun and have no ideal what to value it at and if possible for me to get it i'd like to see that he gets a fair deal on it at least. Other than the info I just provided I have no other knowledge of the gun.

Thanks. I would also like to know about what year and how many of these were produced.
  2. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Member

I think it is only a couple of years old. As a rule, commemoratives are not a good investment--Google "Oliver F. Winchester comm" and you will see what sellers are asking for them, which may be far more than what they eventually get for them.

I'd disregard what your friend paid for the gun, research sold items (unfired) and make in informed offer. Just remember, if you plan on firing or handling this gun, you will destroy whatever collector value it might have.
  3. smoke-pole

smoke-pole New Member

It has to be more than a couple years old, I personally know he has had it for the 20 or so that I have known him. Only thing I can find is a few auctions where they sold for in between 800-950 adn when I say they the exact same gun in the same exact caliber with matching box, i also found one old auction where the seller listed the item as being made in 1980 and only being 19,999 of them made but this is what he had listed in the item description.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Smoke-pole, AFAIK your info is correct and the $800 price seems about right, the $950 a bit high.

Jim
  5. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Hello,

The Oliver F. Winchester Model 94 commemorative was issued in 1980. There were 19,999 of them manufactured. The current market value is $750.

Bert H.
  6. smoke-pole

smoke-pole New Member

Thanks Bert.