VALUE OF LEE ENFIELD - 1905

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by equineconn, Apr 9, 2012.

1. equineconn

equineconn New Member

I have an ER Enfield 2905 SHT L.E. from WWI that I may be interested in selling. I'll try to provide as many details as possible. Not absolutely sure if it's a Mark I or which one it is, so hopefully someone will have more extensive knowledge about this rifle that can be shared with me. I believe the gun is in working condition.

Above the trigger guard where the wood stock fastens to the rifle, I believe there is a crown/crest (Royal Small Arms) and ER, Enfield, 1905, SHT LE, and there is what appears to be a 6-7 pointed "burst" below, for lack of a better term I can think of right now. Also stamped on the gun is FR/382/1071/.303 rifle.

On the reverse side at the receiver is a crown/crest, with ER stamped below, and what appear to be 2 crossed flags/P./another crest/and I believe 88L105.

Stock - mahogany
    Safety latch missing
    Hardware/Strap missing
    Metal portion of barrel in good condition with a couple of small areas of rust
    Overall length - 44.5"
    Magazine - detachable/stacked column
    Barrel length - 25.2"
    # grooves unknown
    Bore - .303
    Bolt Type - 2-piece
    Non-rotating head
    Direction of Twist - left
    Stamped on brass butt is "N"

I referred to an excellent rifle encyclopedia I have and see there are several similar rifles in the Mark series; hence why I'm not quite sure which one it is since they are similar - 99% sure mine is from 1905. The book is titled, "The Book of Rifles," by W.H.B. Smith and Joseph E. Smith, Copyright 1948, 3rd Ed., April 1963, 2nd Printing, July 1965, Library of Congress Catalog Card #63-12562.

I've attached a .pdf file with quite a few photos, many of which are not great, but hopefully will offer enough to make a positive ID and an estimate of the value of this gun.

Thanks very much and I look forward to your insight.

Attached Files:

2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

You have an SMLE, Mk I, made in 1905. The crown is normal, indicating a rifle in service to the crown; there should also be military proof marks and a broad arrow. The "ER" is for King Edward VII. The charger guide should be divided, with one piece on the receiver, the other on the bolt.

The seven point star likely indicates Australian property/issue.

Those pictures are about worthless, but the rifle appears to be "sporterized" so the collector value has been reduced a lot. It also looks like the rifle may have the wrong bolt, without the half charger guide. As is, I would estimate the value at $250 or so bascially as a hunting rifle. An intact, original, Mk I SMLE in decent shape would bring at least $600, maybe more.

Jim
  3. equineconn

equineconn New Member

Thanks for your prompt reply. I was just researching more information about this gun and came up with the same SMLE at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield.

Yes, the pics are crappy - unfortunately good digital camera not working, so these were taken with a Blackberry phone camera...

Guess we'll research a bit more and post it on E-Bay. Thanks again.
  4. equineconn

equineconn New Member

I spoke with my husband who inherited this gun (I did this post for him) -- he's got quite a gun/rifle collection and is long-time and avid hunter. He shared that the gun has not been "sporterized" and that the bolt is original. That said, whoever had the rifle before him (grandfather, I think), put a clear coat of varnish on the gun, which of course, is not so desirable. And there is one small piece missing in the area of the bolt -- I just don't know the name of that part. However, the gun is operational. We'll do a bit more research before we post for sale.

If others can offer any feedback, that would be great. Thanks! :)
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Sorry, but that rifle would originally have had a stock out almost to the muzzle and provision for attaching a bayonet, in addition to a front sight guard, so it definitely has been "sporterized" at least to the extent of having the stock cut and the front sight altered. Better pictures of the top of the receiver with the bolt back could allow a check on the bolt.

Jim
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Sorry, but that rifle originally had a stock almost to the muzzle with provision for a bayonet, and a front sight protector. The stock has been cut down, so it was "sporterized" at least to that extent. The pictures are not clear enough to determine whether the bolt is original or not, but it does not look like the Mk I bolt head is present, if it is not, the bolt has been altered or replaced.

Jim