Value of M 1911 A1 Remington Rand

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by DEDavenport, Sep 13, 2012.

1. DEDavenport

DEDavenport New Member

I was given a pistol about 30 years ago. It is in original condition and doesn't appear to have ever been fired. It has a holster but no "US" on it so I'm not sure if it's military issue. Three magazines for the weapon were also given to me.

On the right hand side of the frame is: "UNITED STATES PROPERTY M 1911 A1 U.S. ARMY" and "NO. 1805961." What appears to be a "T" is stamped on the front of the trigger guard.

On the left hand side is: "REMINGTON RAND INC." and below this is "SYRACUSE, N.Y. U.S.A." The number "4" appears on the front of the trigger guard; the letter "P" appears immediately behind the magazine release button; and "FJ" appears immediately below the slide release lever.

What is this weapon worth?

Thanks,
    DE Davenport
  2. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is there any way you can post a couple of pictures? The FJ should actually be FJA. Is the mainspring flat or arched? Are the grips original? You say it appears unfired? Maybe refinished? Is it a shiny blue or parkerized? Really need pics.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

To complete what DD said, "FJA" stands for Col. Frank J. Atwood, Commanding Officer of the Rochester Ordnance District. He held the title "Inspector of Ordnance and, while he didn't inspect and mark guns personally, his initials showed that the gun had passed government inspection.

Those guns were not marked "U.S." but the words UNITED STATES PROPERTY meant the same thing.

Jim
  4. DEDavenport

DEDavenport New Member

After holding the gun under a strong light, I could discern the missing "A" of the "FJA."

Regarding the missing "U.S.," I referring to the holster.

The finish on the gun is the original parkerized and the handle grips are the originals.

This weapon was one of several that were found among the effects of my friend's late father who died in the early 1980s; my friend, a WWII vet, is now deceased. He also gave me an M1 Carbine that was still disassembled and packaged in cosmoline.

I strongly feel that this pistol is in original condition and, as I said, it shows no signs of having ever been fired, though surely it was test fired at the factory(?) I'm interested in it's value because I was considering carrying it (I'm retired law enforcement and I have a CW permit) but, while pricing a holster for it, the customer service guy advised me that the gun might be too valuable to be carrying around and firing for annual qualification (50 rounds). If that's the case, I'll put it away and buy myself another pistol.

I'll see what I can do about some pictures.

Thanks for the replies thus far,
    DE Davenport
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I won't try to even guess a value without pictures, but I will say that those guns, in good original condition, go for at least $1200, more if really nice.

If the holster is not GI, it likely has little value, but again, pictures will help.

Jim
  6. DEDavenport

DEDavenport New Member

Here are a couple of pictures of the pistol that show both sides.

Obviously I don't know how to post pictures since neither of them appear here. I'll have to research the procedure and try again. Thanks for your patience.
    DE Davenport
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  7. DEDavenport

DEDavenport New Member

Well, the pictures did not show up with my previous post so I'm trying again. There should be two pictures attached to this one.

Attached Files:

8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

From what I can tell, the condition looks to be excellent, so I will WAG at $1600. Others may have other estimates.

Jim
  9. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Thanks for putting up pictures, DEDavenport. That looks like it is in mint original condition. Collectors love that.

Now that you know how, you might want to put up pictures of the holster and spare magazines too. People here might be able to tell you something about them, too.
  10. popgun

popgun New Member

DEDavenport,
    Welcome to the forum. You will get good advive here. You and I spoke on the phone when you were thinking of buying a holster the other day. Glad you took my advice and realized the value and collectability of your firearm. Love the pictures. Every one at the office were glad you made the right choice not to use this as a shooter, even if it meant losing a sale.
    popgun
  11. DEDavenport

DEDavenport New Member

Thank you for steering me in the right direction. I had no idea as to the value of this weapon.
  12. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Very lucky you! Me, I wouldn't use it as a shooter either, but I'd just have to run one clip though it then lovingly clean it and oil it :)
  13. G320

G320 New Member

That is one amazing sidearm, Treasure it for many years that you own it.
  14. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

The pictures arent great, but the gun looks to be in great shape and I cant remember the last time I have seen one this nice. Jim K said 1600 and I tend to agree with him on that give or take a hundred.