Value of Model 70 Super Grade made in 1948

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cprher, Dec 23, 2010.

1. cprher

cprher New Member

I recently inherited from my Dad a Winchester pre-64 Model 70 Super Grade, serial number 1194XX, that he had purchased new in 1948 or 1949. It's in 270 Winchester and has both the folding barrel mounted sight and a Lyman 48 receiver sight with target knobs instead of the rounded field knobs, as well as a Lyman 4X All American scope. The condition of the gun was a bit rough when he handed it to me...he'd had it in his bedroom closet for many, many years. However, once I had carefully disassembled and cleaned the gun I found a pearl underneath all that grime. The stock is pristine except for a very small ding on the forearm and for a very small scratch on the butt. The blue is exceptional except on the floor plate near the front action screw where he usually carried it and on butt plate where it had rested for many years. It has been shot very little with no apparent wear to the barrel or bolt. The trigger pull is still crisp rather than smooth from wear like my heavily used pre-64 Model 70. The only improvement he has made to the gun over the years is to remove the one piece Redfield scope mount and mount a set of Warne Maxima bases and rings.

Based on the description provided, can you give me a ball park value so I can get it insured properly? I've researched prices on the web and they vary so greatly, I can't get a handle on what the gun is actually worth.
  2. 22shot

22shot New Member

cprher

There were two variations; a "standard" and a "featherweight"; The "standard" was discotinued in 1960; the "featherweight" was wade from 1952 until 1963.

Based on your post; you have the "standard" Winchester Model 70 Super Grade; and the .270 chambering is a favorite amoung shooters.
    It is worth more than the "featherweight" by a bunch ($995 vs. $595; 1984 value).

I think putting an insurance value of $1200- $1500 would not be out of line.

Pics would help.

As to serial#'s; can't help you.
    Welcome to TFF!
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

yours was made in 1949
  4. cprher

cprher New Member

1949 makes sense. There was a "49" stamped on the bottom of the barrel next to the receiver. Thanks for the advice on value. Since it has the scope, receiver sight and original sling swivels I'll insure it for $1500.
    Keith