Value of my Winchester Model 70, 30-06

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by nemery, May 26, 2009.

1. nemery

nemery New Member

I was given my grandfather's favorite hunting rifle after he died. My father, his brothers, and all of my cousins and myself all shot our first deer or elk with this rifle.

I need to the value of my Winchester Model 70 30-06. I also want to know what year it was made and I know people can tell that by the serial number...

The serial number is G1085890

On the gun it is stamped:
    Winchester - Model 70 - 30-06 SPRG
    Made in New Haven, Conn., USA Winchester Proof Steel

It has a Leupold/Weaver Pivot Mounted scope. The stock is in average condition. I'm sure it was refinished in the last 15 years by my father and one of his brothers. The action is good and tight still and everything else is in fair condition.

Without pictures, what do you think the value is?
    If I ever had to sell this family piece of history, how would I go about it? (Manly asking that last question so my wife would know what to do if it wasn't given back to one of my unlces/cousins)

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited: May 26, 2009