1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Value of old winchester rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by choppersteve, Jan 8, 2013.

1. choppersteve

choppersteve New Member

Hi new to the message forum here,i recently got a rifle left to me and was researching it to find what its worth,i looked up the gun serial number and its a 1966 winchester model 70-300 chambered in 300 win mag it has a redfield scope on it 3x9x with weaver rings guns in beautiful shape bluing on its real nice and the wood in great shape.

Attached Files:

2. choppersteve

choppersteve New Member

no one huh?
  3. Paul Curtis

Paul Curtis New Member

After late 1963-64 when WRA revamped the famous M70 (1937 to 1963), the value of this newer design was never seen by the collectors as being anywhere near that of the pre-1964 rifles. The older Model 70, and its predecessor, the Model 54, like the Springfield 1903's, were all based on the famous 1898 Mauser controlled fee long extractor design-- still today the basic action designed used by many custom and high end rifle makers, due to its ultimate reliability in feeding from the magazine without jams or 'double feeding"- The post 1964 M70 as you have is a "push feed" design, as is the great Remington 700 BA-- but WRA went to impressed stamped checkering, more aluminum and plastic that before (although the M70 Featherweight version that came out in 1954 did have an aluminum floorplate/trigger guard and buttplate)- Long story short- If the Redfield scope was made in Denver, the scope is worth way more than that rifle--Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the market scene-not likely too change either. WRA really "shot themselves" in the foot big-time with the post 1963 rifles and shotguns they tried to sell--
  4. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Despite the shortcomings pointed out by Mr. Curtis, this gun does have value and is not junk. I don't have a reference book in front of me, but I suspect this model in very good condition is at least in the $350-$450 range--without the scope.

For the most part, push feed actions work just fine and Winchester has come along way toward rectifying the poor reputation of their early post-64 rifles. I have a c 1981 Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06 and except for the fact that it kicks like a mad mule, I like it just fine.
  5. choppersteve

choppersteve New Member

the serial number is just under the scope on this gun right? i just wanna make sure im reading the right number cause i was under the impression this gun was alot older then 66?

does the scope say if it was made in denver on it or do u have to go off aa number on it?

im not selling the gun im just curious about the value.
  6. Bert H.

Bert H. Member

Steve,

Your were the one who told us it is a 1966 vintage rifle. Are you questioning yourself now?

The serial number is marked on the right-hand side of the front receiver bridge. If it is 700,000 or higher, it is a post-1963 rifle.

Based on the one picture you posted, it is a post-1963 vintage rifle.

Bert H.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  7. choppersteve

choppersteve New Member

I was just making sure I was checking the right number, turns out the scope is worth more then the gun haha
  8. choppersteve

choppersteve New Member

At any rate what's the going price for the rifle without the scope?
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

About $500 retail.

Jim
  10. choppersteve

choppersteve New Member

Thank you