Value of Pre-War PPK

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Wendy15, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Wendy15

Wendy15 New Member

Hello. New member here. I have a Walther PPK pre-war that I bought in the early 90's for $200. I took it once to Collector's Firearms and they told me I had a pre-war Walther PPK with post-war grips. I have no clue either way. I believe it is a 1932 PPK. They told me that they would give me $200 for it.

For those in the know, I am curious to know if it does indeed have post-war grips, how's the condition and what it might be worth.

Attached Files:

2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

I don't how much that is worth except that it is far more than $200. Many dealers feel that they have to try to buy guns for as little as possible, in order to stay in business.

All I can tell you is that the "crown over N stamp" is what is called a proof mark, and Germany stopped using that style around 1940. Also, I cannot remember seeing prewar or wartime PPKs with black grips, but I am not an expert on these guns.

I can't really help you on a price except to say that if I saw a gun store asking less than $450 for it, I would wonder what was wrong with it.

HTH!

PS - thanks for the good pictures.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Ma'am i'm in Australia and not knowledgeable on these at all but $200 is too cheap

original and 90% or better here they are $800 as a start

yours has a lot of holster wear , i'd gauge it roughly from the pic's at 80% in finish

grips look ok ( 30's) to me but again i'm no expert, they'll be along soon enough

tan where more common a colour for grips but seen both black and rose on them as original too

oh and Welcome to TFF!!
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Collector's Firearms on Fondren in Houston, I'm assuming. WELL-known for low-balling unsuspecting sellers and then they have some of the highest resale asking prices around. The last time I was in their store I personally witnessed a young guy sell a 1st generation Colt SAA for $350. Was a gray/brown gun, but still.

Anyway, production is around 1939 so it depends on your definition of "pre-war." For the US, yes, for Germany, no. That said, there are no military acceptance marks so it was a civilian piece never taken into military service. The original grips would have been a brown Bakelite one-piece grip set so, yes, those grips are later replacements.

Your gun, in that condition, would sell around $500 retail.
  5. denny 714

denny 714 Member

I have a few Walthers ( PPK ) and every one of them is worth at least $1000.00. Just take a look on the auction sights and you can see for yourself!! A few things to remember: the original grips if sold separately are worth $300.00 and up depending on condition. The magazine if original is $250.00 and up depending on condition. That's $550.00 right there.....But You don't have original grips and I cant tell if the clip is original either. No matter you have a pre war PPK and if it were mine I would not sell it for less that $800.00 or $900.00. It depends if you need the money.....They don't make 'em like that anymore!!!! Nice Pistol!
    You should also check the spine or back of the clip to see if the same serial # is on it !
    Your Grips definitely are post war two piece plastic grips!

Hope this helps you !
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  6. Wendy15

Wendy15 New Member

Thank you for the responses. All of your comments have been helpful!

@StoneChimney - Yes, it was the Collectors Firearms you speak of.

@Denny 714 - I took a look at the clip and I do not see any indication there are is a serial # on it. It does have the Walther stamp, but that is it.

I have no intentions of ever selling it. I love that gun! Just wanted some feedback on what it may be worth in its' condition.