value of RADOM VIS Mod 35

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dbrown, Jan 5, 2011.

1. dbrown

dbrown New Member

THE PISTOL HAS MATCHING SERIAL NUMBERS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE
    GUN AND ON THE SAFETY. THERES ALSO G S MARKINGS ON THE BUTT. THE BOTTOM OF THE CLIP HAS AN EAGLE AND UNDER IT 189. ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE TRIGGER THERE IS SOME KIND OF MARKING LOOKS LIKE THE NUMBER 1. THE LEFT SIDE SAFETY ALSO HAS AN S ON IT. ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE SLIDE IT READS FB. RADOM VIS Mod 35 Pat ?(CANT REALLY READ) THEN BELOW THAT IS WHAT LOOKS LIKE AN EAGLE WITH 77 RIGHT UNDER IT. CAN ANYONE TELL ME APX WHAT THIS GUN IS WORTH? OR WHERE I CAN GO TO FIND OUT. THE SERIAL NUM IS A1293.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

is it cut for a shoulder stock ? how many levers does it have. presently my book of Radom is loaned out and i can't look up the serial number to determine when it was made. but i suspect with the A prefix it was during the war years and could of been made while under control of germany. value will depend a lot on the condition . please post a picture if possible
  3. dbrown

dbrown New Member

OVIOUSLY I AM NOT THE MOST COMPUTER LITERATE PERSON. I DOWNLOADED A PIC TO MY COMP BUT AM UNSURE HOW TO OBTAIN A URL FOR PIC. IF YOU CAN TELL ME HOW I MIGHT DO THIS I CAN POST A PIC. THANKS
  4. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

someone will come along and tell you how to post a picture i'm in the same boat as you don't know how and not sure i want to learn.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Let's start with pictures.

First, do you have a digital camera? (A Kodak Brownie won't work!)

Do you know how to transfer a picture from your camera to your computer, or how to read a picture directly from the camera?

If you have the picture(s) in your computer, usually in a file called "My Pictures", then log into this site, go to the posting where you want to insert your post and picture.

Click on REPLY, then on GO ADVANCED. Type your comments, then find "MANAGE ATTACHMENTS". Click on that and you will bring up a screen with places for your pictures. Under Computer, click on BROWSE to bring up your own computer files, and find the picture you want to post. Click on it and its address will appear next to the word BROWSE. You can do three pictures at a time.

Then click on UPLOAD, and your pictures will be copied to this site. Close the window.

Jim
  6. dbrown

dbrown New Member

HERES A PIC

Attached Files:

7. dbrown

dbrown New Member

IN ANSWER TO YOUR EARLIER ? NO ITS NOT CUT FOR A SHOULDER STOCK. LET ME KNOW IF I NEED TO POST A BETTER PICTURE
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is a late Radom, probably made at Steyr, not in Poland. The plating (nickel or chrome?) is NOT original, nor are the grips. In that condition, I would place the value at $150 or so as a shooter. Another fine example of someone "enhancing" a gun from a valuable collectors' piece into near worthlessness.

Jim
  9. dbrown

dbrown New Member

kinda figured that the grips were not original but why the hell would a person plate a gun like that?
  10. dbrown

dbrown New Member

ok dont know how my reply wound up there but...
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Many thousands of souvenir pistols were "enhanced" in the late 1940's and 1950's by the vets who brought them back or those who obtained them later. Little thought was given to collector interest, since there was none. The guns were cheap; right after the war, a common Luger was all of $10, a P.38, 5$. Even considering the value of the dollar at the time, those were dirt cheap prices. And except for the Luger, there was simply no interest. The P.38 was "that cheap stamped out German POS"; the small Walthers were condemned as "Kraut sneak guns"; guns like the Radom and, worse, Japanese pistols, were simply junk, and beneath contempt. So if someone wanted to make one of those shiny, he went ahead and no one thought anything of it. Naturally the next step was to make new grips (easy on the flat side Radom) or buy $4 plastic "ivory" or "pearl" grips, those only made the gun "purtier", sort of like the ones carried by Patton or somebody.

Jim
  12. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

jim is right on target, but though thought of a junk/cheap pistols the radom was a fine pistol for it's time at least the early ones before short cuts were made during war production while under german control.
  13. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Jim, don't forget that right after the war it was commonly believed that many German firearms were sabotaged because they were built by slave labor, and were prone to blowing up in your face when fired. It took quite a few years for this uninformed rumor to be rejected, and it was finally realized that these were in fact quality arms. For this reason they were abused and treated as though they had no value. Incidentally, I suspect that the Radom in question was not plated. I think it has just been buffed down to the bare metal.
  14. dbrown

dbrown New Member

just out of curiosity any idea what it might of been worth had they not have had this intellegent idea
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Maybe I was late in catching on but I didn't hear the "sabotage" story until much later. I think it was just that in those days, the only good handguns were marked "Colt" with maybe an S&W grudgingly accepted. Any "furrin" gun was just no good. While Lugers were collected, the folks who did so were looked on as a bit odd, like that uncle who is never mentioned in polite society.

The only handgun I personally observed that had been sabotaged was a BHP. It was in near new condition but was very soft; the barrel lugs kept setting back and jamming the gun. I was told (FWIW) that the Belgians didn't sabotage guns directly because they would be caught, but instead messed up the heat treatment. The guns would work just long enough to get the acceptance stamp and be shipped out of the factory.

As to value on that one, I don't know what condition it was in before it was "improved", but assuming average condition, it would probably go today for $500-600.

Jim
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011