Value of Remington Rand M1911A1

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Janno, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Janno

Janno New Member

My father also gave me a Remington Rand M1911A1. I would like to know the value for insurance purposes and also current market value should I decide to sell it.
    The serial # is 1806390 and on the right side of trigger guard is stamped with an "A". Also, on the top of the trigger guard toward the front is stamped "Z". Above the serial # is "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" and in front of that is stamped "M1911A1 U.S. ARMY"

Attached Files:

2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looks like a Remington Rand slide with a 1944 Ithaca frame. It is probably an arsenal rebuild.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  3. Janno

Janno New Member

The left side markings are "P" by the clip release button, a "2" on front top of trigger guard and a "JA" by the top of the legt side of the grip. Thank you for all the info.
  4. TheGunClinger

Look real close at the JA and see if there is an F before the J. That would be Col. F.J. Atwood who was the inspector for Ithaca.
  5. Janno

Janno New Member

Thank you, yes there is a slight F there. I have had someone offer me $350 and I want to know if it is worth more than that.
  6. TheGunClinger

Mine is an arsenal rebuild also but it is amost all Ithaca with the exception of the right grip which is a Colt. I paid $400.00 for this gun with the pilot shoulder holster but have been offered $1800.00 for it.
    I'd say to you that yours is worth more than $350.00 just in sentimental value if it was given to you by your father. How did he acquire it? If it was service related, priceless, if horse traded... well only you know if there is more than monetary value. In my forum album I have a pic of mine. I learn more stuff about it everyday. History is amazing.
  7. Janno

Janno New Member

Thank you for all the imformation. My Father bought this gun from the NRA many years ago.

He was a civilian POW during WWII captured on Wake Island - what an amazing man he was!
  8. TheGunClinger

Well then, the gun is priceless as a family heirloom and as it wouldnt bring big bucks, I would keep it and hand it down to whoever??...
  9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Collecting WWII and earlier 1911's is an art form that I have not bothered to master. However Even if it is a mix master ( rebuilt using difference manufactures ) it is worth more than you were offered. A clean WWII 1911 even with miss matched slide is worth closer to 600 to 800 dollars. If all the parts matched it would be worth closer to 2000. Which means grips, slide, barrel, firing pin, firing pin stop and magazines. As I stated, collecting these firearms has evolved into a art form. :)
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Just to clarify, Col. Atwood was not "the inspector for Ithaca." He was commander of the Rochester (NY) Ordnance District, a position he held from June 15, 1942 to March 31, 1946. As the person in overall command, his initials appeared on all Ordnance equipment produced in that district, which included both Ithaca in Ithaca, NY, and Remington Rand, in Syracuse, plus dozens of factories making trucks and other ordnance equipment. I have seen his initials on the data plate of Jeeps made by Ford in Buffalo.

Obviously, Col. Atwood didn't spend the war, hammer in hand, stamping his initials on guns and trucks. The actual inspection and marking was done by contractor employees under the careful supervision of an Army inspection team.

Jim
  11. TheGunClinger

As I said before, I learne stuff everyday! Thanks Jim K.