1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Value of revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Chief AFD, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Chief AFD

Chief AFD New Member

I was given a Hopkins & Allen XL 8 double action 32 cal.
    serial #8484 revolver. I would like to know the year it was made and the value.

Chief AFD
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Hi Chief AFD. I don't know nothin' about the revolver you're asking about. I just wanted to welcome you to the board. Somebody around here is bound to know the answer, though. :)
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Chief.......welcome to TFF.

This is a little bit of a mystery. According to the 2003 Standard Catalog of Firearms, the XL 8 was a .44 rimfire.

Hopkins & Allen Army Revolver....in .44 rimfire with a 4.5", 6", or 7.5" barrel. The top strap marked "XL No. 8". Several hundred were manufactured between 1878 and 1882.

Good - $2250
    Fair - $850
    Poor - $350

The caliber and the 8-thousand serial number of yours (far above the "several hundred manufactured") would seem to indicate that it's not the XL 8 mentioned above.

Hopkins & Allen was established in 1868 and produced a variety of inexpensive spur trigger revolvers in .22, .32, .38, or .41 caliber often marked with trade names such as, Acme, Blue Jacket, Captain Jack, Chichester, Defender, Dictator, Hopkins & Allen, Imperial Arms Co., Monarch, Mountain Eagle, Ranger, Tower's Police Safety, Universal, and XL.

Good - $400
    Fair - $175
    Poor - $75

Some of these revolvers are hinged-frame, double-action break-opens with round ribbed barrels of various lengths. Blued or nickel-plated, with checkered plastic grips.

Good - $400
    Fair - $175
    Poor - $75

The Blue Book also lists an "XL Model" as being a solid frame, five shot, double action, hammer or "bobbed hammer" in .22, .32, and .38. Depending on condition, values range from $45 to $120.

If you can give us a more complete description, maybe we can nail it down for you.
  4. Chief AFD

Chief AFD New Member

Thanks for the reply Xracer, it is a five shot 32 with a 2 1/2 "
    barrel solid frame but it does have on the top of the frame
    left of the sight grove X L 8 DOUBLE ACTION
    32 CAL. CENTRE FIRE
    just the way i typed it.
    It is also chrome plated.
    THANKS
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

That would be nickle plate, not chrome.

Sounds like that's the XL series. From around 1900 to the 1930's H & A made a large variety of inexpensive handguns (commonly known as "Saturday Nite Specials") under a large variety of tradenames.

This same gun was also made as the "Forehand & Wadsworth" "Double Action Automatic Police Revolver" and in 1902 was in the Sears, Roebuck catalog for $1.65

Value today, depending on condition, would be in the $45-120 range.

If you're thinking of shooting it, best have it checked out by a gunsmith. These weren't real high quality revolvers to start with, and they sure haven't improved over time.
  6. Chief AFD

Chief AFD New Member

Old firearms I collect, new firearms I shoot. I have five old handguns I just recieved and I took your addvice and went to the library and looked them up in the 2003 Standard Catalog of Firearms.

Thanks Xracer I appreciate the help.