Value of revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Chief AFD, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Chief AFD

Chief AFD New Member

I was given a Hopkins & Allen XL 8 double action 32 cal.
    serial #8484 revolver. I would like to know the year it was made and the value.

Chief AFD
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Hi Chief AFD. I don't know nothin' about the revolver you're asking about. I just wanted to welcome you to the board. Somebody around here is bound to know the answer, though. :)
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Chief.......welcome to TFF.

This is a little bit of a mystery. According to the 2003 Standard Catalog of Firearms, the XL 8 was a .44 rimfire.

Hopkins & Allen Army Revolver....in .44 rimfire with a 4.5", 6", or 7.5" barrel. The top strap marked "XL No. 8". Several hundred were manufactured between 1878 and 1882.

Good - $2250
    Fair - $850
    Poor - $350

The caliber and the 8-thousand serial number of yours (far above the "several hundred manufactured") would seem to indicate that it's not the XL 8 mentioned above.

Hopkins & Allen was established in 1868 and produced a variety of inexpensive spur trigger revolvers in .22, .32, .38, or .41 caliber often marked with trade names such as, Acme, Blue Jacket, Captain Jack, Chichester, Defender, Dictator, Hopkins & Allen, Imperial Arms Co., Monarch, Mountain Eagle, Ranger, Tower's Police Safety, Universal, and XL.

Good - $400
    Fair - $175
    Poor - $75

Some of these revolvers are hinged-frame, double-action break-opens with round ribbed barrels of various lengths. Blued or nickel-plated, with checkered plastic grips.

Good - $400
    Fair - $175
    Poor - $75

The Blue Book also lists an "XL Model" as being a solid frame, five shot, double action, hammer or "bobbed hammer" in .22, .32, and .38. Depending on condition, values range from $45 to $120.

If you can give us a more complete description, maybe we can nail it down for you.
  4. Chief AFD

Chief AFD New Member

Thanks for the reply Xracer, it is a five shot 32 with a 2 1/2 "
    barrel solid frame but it does have on the top of the frame
    left of the sight grove X L 8 DOUBLE ACTION
    32 CAL. CENTRE FIRE
    just the way i typed it.
    It is also chrome plated.
    THANKS
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

That would be nickle plate, not chrome.

Sounds like that's the XL series. From around 1900 to the 1930's H & A made a large variety of inexpensive handguns (commonly known as "Saturday Nite Specials") under a large variety of tradenames.

This same gun was also made as the "Forehand & Wadsworth" "Double Action Automatic Police Revolver" and in 1902 was in the Sears, Roebuck catalog for $1.65

Value today, depending on condition, would be in the $45-120 range.

If you're thinking of shooting it, best have it checked out by a gunsmith. These weren't real high quality revolvers to start with, and they sure haven't improved over time.
  6. Chief AFD

Chief AFD New Member

Old firearms I collect, new firearms I shoot. I have five old handguns I just recieved and I took your addvice and went to the library and looked them up in the 2003 Standard Catalog of Firearms.

Thanks Xracer I appreciate the help.