Value of Russian SKS?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wonderwhippet, Aug 11, 2003.

1. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

A friend has offered to sell me a beautiful Russian SKS in outstanding near mint condition. I think the date was around 1953, but I don't remember exactly. Can anyone give us a value on it so we can deal fairly with each other?
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

WW.....I moved this down here where our crufflers would more likely know the info you want.....Xracer
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Well, Russian SKS's are selling for anywhere between $200 and $400 these days. Some rare ones can go higher than that. A lot depends on condition. Before I tell you what I personally would pay for it, I would need to know some more information.

Is it in original arsenal condition, or is it a refurb? A refurb would usually have a black bolt carrier and bolt, and sometimes even a black bayonet. If it's in a laminated stock, it will be a refurb. Look for a box with a slash through it, stamped on the receiver cover, which would be the rearsenal mark. Also, a typical Russian refurb will have black paint that looks kinda like BBQ grill paint on it, instead of regular bluing.

Is it a Tula or Izhevsk model? A Tula will have a star with an arrow inside it stamped on the receiver cover. Izhevsk will have a triangle with an arrow inside it.

Do all serial numbers match on the following parts? Trigger guard, stock, receiver, bolt carrier, bolt, receiver cover, magazine. Are any of the numbers electro-penciled, or are they all stamped?

Does it come with the cleaning kit in the buttstock? Sling? Cleaning rod? Does it still have the original blade bayonet? (lots of people mistakenly remove the bayonet, thinking it's illegal)

How is the bore? Sharp lands and grooves? Is there any corrosion inside the gas tube or the gas block? Is the piston head clean and rust-free?
  4. wonderwhippet

This is exactly what I need to know, and I will get the answers to these questions ASAP and post them here. Many thanks.
  5. warpig

warpig Guest

I gave $300 for my Russian and I do believe it to be original. I forget the year 1950 something and it is like new.
  6. RELTOR

RELTOR New Member

Russian SKS

Last I heard they were around $350
  7. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Yep! Picked mine up for $300.00...$275.00-$350.00 depending on condition and make-up!...;)
  8. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

BTW, Welcome to TFF RELTOR!...;)
  9. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to see you at TFF, Reltor. Hope you enjoy it here and will become a frequent poster, not just a visitor.

We are a diverse group and enjoy a camaraderie unsurpassed anywhere on the Web. Our collective knowledge is some of the finest you will find anywhere and is unsurpassed.

Please pull up a stump and make yourself at home. We are dedicated to the preservation of the United States Constitution and those who gave their all to see it through from the beginning to the present. We hope it will be one of your favorite places. Finally, we would like you to feel that this is just as much your home as it is ours.

Attached Files:

10. RELTOR

RELTOR New Member

Thank You for the welcome

I will learn and share knowledge as much as I have time. Thanks again for the hearty welcome.
  11. merc

merc New Member

looks like the boys have it covered.
    Always in the 300 dollar range and up.

Anyway--welcome to the forum reltor
  12. wonderwhippet

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but here is the info on the SKS. The finish is a perfect original blue with a bright unblued bolt, no rearsenal mark, Tula 1953 manufacture. All serial numbers are stamped and matching on all parts, no electropenciling. Original bright blade bayonet, cleaning rod, cleaning kit, sling are all present. The bore is absolutely mint, shows no corrosion in gas tube, glas block or piston head. All i can say is that this appears to be an original mint rifle. I finally bought it for $225 and after shooting it I have come to the conclusion it is the most accurate and reliable non-target rifle I have ever owned. Using Wolf ammo I am regularly exploding gallon jugs at 200 yards. I'm a very happy camper!
  13. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Wow, you got a great deal on that rifle, man! Congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, what is the number that is stamped on the front sight? It should be 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.
  14. anonymous

anonymous New Member

I have a russian sks that is a viet cong bring-back, with all matching serial numbers and blade bayonet. Can anyone give me a price range?
  15. 22shot

22shot New Member

Is there a date stamp by the CCCP?

I had one too; laminated stock, Sold it to a dealer for $275....He still has it on his rack for $375. It's in great condition with the little kit tube still in the buttstock.
  16. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

anonymous,
    Welcome to the forum. Do you have the "capture" papers to go with your Ruskie SKS? Provenance should add another $100 or so to the value. IMHO - 22shot has hit the mark with the valuation for an undocumented piece - I've seen pieces sold with documentation for close to $400. Gotta find the right guy - usually a VN Vet with a couple bucks in his pocket.
  17. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i think yalls prices are low. i'll the russian sks's i've seen were going for 400 and anything less sold like hot cakes.
  18. Intoxdoc

Intoxdoc New Member

I have a Rusian SKS Tula with all matching serial numbers even on the wood stock (there is a line of X's above the serial number on the stock), I think it is a referb, but there is no box stamped on the receiver, the barrel does have black paint, and I have the bayonet, cleaning rod, and I belive the butstock cleaning kit is in my main gun cleaning bag. would this rifle in very good condition bring?