Value: S&W .32 new departure hammerless 1896

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mac1911, Feb 27, 2010.

1. mac1911

mac1911 New Member

[​IMG]

S&W historical says 1896 date. serial#71,5XX 3.5" barrel is in working order - a broken F-pin. seems nice and tight locks up well. Bore shows some frosting and slight pitting @ muzzle. finish is nickle and is what I would consider Good for 100+ years
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Was there a question? Firing pins on those guns are easily made and replaced.

Jim
  3. mac1911

mac1911 New Member

Jim Im sorry new to the forum, THE ASK THE PRO'S & WHAT'S IT WORTH? FORUM, I just figured it was automatic that I would get a answer to a posting:confused::)
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

mac
    Values on these early "Lemonsqueezers" varies considerably based upon condition. While a broken firing pin is repairable/replaceable, any "non-original" part will decrease the value. You are probably looking at a piece within the value range of $300 to $400 depending upon the market in your area. An example in excellent condition, would be closer to the $600-$700 mark.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, Mac1911,

You are right, the title does imply the question. But many folks use the forum to find out what a gun is, when it was made, or the general history of the model, without really caring about value.

With all guns value depends mainly on condition; they made tens of thousands of those guns and collectors generally pay big bucks only for ones in like new condition. So, value ranges from nothing for a rusted, broken relic to the $700 Jim Hauff mentions.

Since the firing pin detracts from the value, you might check with a couple of gunsmiths to get an estimate on repair.

Jim
  6. mac1911

mac1911 New Member

I already have the parts on the way, It was pretty straight forward to remove the firepin plug, broken pin and spring. To my surprise the side plate screws came out also.
    The gun has definately been around. and by the fudged up cover screws has been apart a few times in its life. Also looks like someone dinged up the reciever just behind the release. ??? Even still. Its my 1st antique. I was not really looking for one and I know the seller well. He was happy to get the cash. Plus he was considering just tossing it the big pond! his words "really how much can a hundred year old gun with a broken Fpin be worth" I told him 25bucks if it aint completely rusted out. "OK I will be by tomorrow".....now im into it for 35.00 parts and shipping.