1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Value: Underwood M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by crasha51pan, Sep 6, 2008.

1. crasha51pan

crasha51pan New Member

Has never been rebuilt. Barrel stamped 12/43.
    [​IMG]
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

IF your Underwood M1 Carbine is all original, the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms values it at:

Exc. - $1,600
    V.G. - $1,250
    Good - $600

Just, BTW, if your Underwood was made at the Hartford plant, my Dad did the tool design for it's manufacture.

In early 1941 he was a lead tool designer at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft in East Hartford. At that time the War Production Board asked P&W to "loan" him to Underwood Typewriter to do the tool design for the manufacture of the of Underwood's M1 Carbine.

Much of the same tool design was also used at the Underwood-Elliot-Fisher plant in Bridgeport, CT.
  3. crasha51pan

crasha51pan New Member

Interesting story, thanks.

I was a young man just out of the Marine Corp in 69 when I went to work in a factory. There was a old guy who told me of the carbine he had that his uncle had sent home from the islands in the pacific during WW11. Guess that's why it escaped any post war rebuild. I offered him $40 and took it home that night. I just recently got into it, it's history and all (long winter nights in Montana).
    Here is what I have:
    Serial #2587482
    Flip style sight marked S. & .U.
    Barrel marked 12-43 with the flaming ball logo and the letter P
    Stock has the letters PU in the sling well
    Type 1 band
    Mag. release marked AU
    S marked receiver
    Magazine is marked IU
    Type 2 handguard with PU on the underside
    Low wood stock
    Near as I can tell it was made for Underwood by the United Shoe Machinery Co.

Am still learning. I have kind of become obsessed with it, I can only imagine it's history. If it could only talk !!!
  4. The91Bravo

The91Bravo New Member

I am looking at purchasing this weapon, and was wondering the value, since it appears that it is not 'all original'. It may be, but I am not as familiar with all the armories, dates, and emblems.

Thanks in advance.
    Steve

"U.S. M1 Carbine, .30 cal. semi-auto military. Serial #6127156, mfg. Underwood. Standard issue for U.S. officers during World War II. Very good condition. Nice Carbine! Blue Sky import marked. Underwood receiver, barrel marked "Underwood 3-44". Underwood bolt. Trigger housing only has "Flaming Bomb" on trigger guard. Op rod has "CIN" mark. Hammer has "WM" mark. Stock does not have cartouches or marks. Green web sling and oiler. Excellent shiny bore. Round bolt, push-button safety and bayonet lug. Finish is 90% with some thinning on the top of the barrel. Wood has some war hits, but is in good shape. Includes Blue Sky packing box with two new in the wrapper 15-rd. mags in a green U.S. pouch and one 15-rd. mag in gun."
  5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Blue Sky imports are selling at gun shows for $550 to $600.
  6. The91Bravo

The91Bravo New Member

wonder,
    Thanks.
    Steve