VanAdestine US Military Fighting Knife

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by buckstix, Jan 14, 2008.

1. buckstix

buckstix New Member

Hello folks,

I have been collecting a RARE and almost totally unheard of hand forged US Military fighting knife called a Van Adstine double edge daggger. It was made from W.W.I to W.W.II by a man here in Wisconsin by the name of Robert Van Adestine.

[​IMG]

For the last 3 years I posted $300 rewards for anyone that found me examples of these RARE knives (either military fighting knives or hunting knives) and I now have the largest collection of Van Adestine knives in the country. (I still need more for my continuing study)

[​IMG]

If you wish to learn more about these RARE knives and see more pictures, visit my web site.

http://www.yostaction.com/vanadestine.html

Robert Van Adestine also made hunting knives that looked like this.

[​IMG]

I believe there are still hundreds of Van Adestine knives out there to be discovered because he made them continuously for 65 years from 1895 until his death in 1959. Also, he lived and made hand forged knives at the very same time as William Scagel and there might have been some association between these two men.

[​IMG]

I would welcome any comments and would like to know if any members have seen any of these knives.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

Thank you for posting this very interesting thread. They are very distinctive and I don't recall seeing any. Are they hafted in pewter? Any idea of the steel type in the blades? ---Mike
  3. buckstix

buckstix New Member

Most blades were made from worn-out mill files. On this one you can still see some of the original file striations.

[​IMG]

Handles were aluminum poured directly onto the blade using hand made moulds.

Why don't you buy one of my "signed and numbered books", I have very few left.

http://www.yostaction.com/vanadestine.html
  4. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

Sounds and looks familiar. Friend may have one in his collection. The practice of using files to produce was and still is a common practice. There are a few knives floating around in my family which are files with aluminum cast handles. Most of those date from 1941-1945. My father has one which was his uncle's; the blade was made from a section of a carpenter's square. Amazing what people will do to create something useful.

I'll see what pops up at the next big show here. If you haven't already got to the guys that come down from up north.
  5. buckstix

buckstix New Member

Thank you. I would be most anxious to find a few more to buy form my continuing study. And I would reward you if you locate one for me that results in a sale.
  6. Drill Sergeant

Drill Sergeant New Member

Outstanding! Great collection.

Keep the history alive!!!!