Variable rifeling rifle barrels...... ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Mar 2, 2004.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I was looking at a friends magazine called Competitive Shooting (?) and saw an ad for a barrel maker that makes a barrel that starts out at something like a 1/12 twist and increases to a 1/7 twist at the muzzle end.....

The add said that this increases accuracy and makes more use of the powder charge by increasing veloctiy?

Anyone ever seen this type of barrel?
    I don't know if it'd be necessary for an AR but it might be good for a bolt action? One of my pet projects is a .300 win mag with all of the goodies......this might be a good deal for it?

mike
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Since the stability of a bullet is determined by the rotational twist as it leaves the barrel, I fail to see how an increasing twist as it travels through the barrel would have any advantage over a constant rotational twist.

After all.....the final rotation is the same where it counts....at the exit.
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I dunno.....

Thought the diagram looked cool anyway....

mike
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

My understanding is that gain twist rifling produces less stress on the bullet, therefore you can have a higher final rotation speed AND a higher velocity without stripping the jacket.

Pops
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yeah....thats it!!

mike