1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Varmint nightmare

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Dirtdgger, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Dirtdgger

Dirtdgger New Member

Has anyone loaded the Varmint nightmare bullets from mid south? I bought 55 gr hp and 55 gr sp was going to use Lc brass cci primers and h335 powder. This is 223 cal. Was wondering about coal?

For evil to prevail good men must do nothing.
  2. A-FIXER

A-FIXER New Member

3. Dirtdgger

Dirtdgger New Member

Tanks for the help a-fixer. That gives me a good place to start.

For evil to prevail good men must do nothing.
  4. A-FIXER

A-FIXER New Member

Your welcome, and as for your coal, I use a hornady C.O.L. gauge and with that I use the bullet of choice and get a exact measurement for that particular rifle I have 3 .223's in a bolt action and each will measure differently on c.o.l. depending on the round being used and they are cheap enough (26-29.00 and the metering brass is 5.00) and you'll fine this tool to be a valued part of your reloading tools. Do post on your findings with this round they maybe my next stock. For my expermiental shooting I use those waterbottles they sell in bulk paks of 24 for 4.00 and once shot I inspect the bottle for the damage performed and they also double as p-dogs sizes out to 300 yrds keeps me honest.
  5. Dirtdgger

Dirtdgger New Member

A-fixer will the c.o.l. Gauge work in an ar 15? I really need to buy some for my calibers. I have used the bullet against the lands with the dowel rod don't know accurate that is. Thanks for the help. I will post my results.
  6. A-FIXER

A-FIXER New Member

You bet... it will fit in any action that is accessible they it is because it is pre measured metered brass casing and will only go into the action so far. then as your loose projectile is in the brass this item has a push rod that will move the bullet into the barrel and touch the lands. It maybe something like you are doing and what is different maybe this the brass screws on to the gauge and then as you push the bullet to touch the lands you then tighten up the pushrod and then you remove it so when you mic it it will be spot on when I do this I will take several rounds at ramdom to get a AVERAGE measurement because I find the "ogive" will vary due to mfg of the round and then base this on a average for my COL. When and if I really want to be extremely robust I use my hornady bullet comparator this measures the OGIVE of the round but I only do this on my extreme long distances shooting and exact powder, and measured brass volume for repeatabilty on super long distance shooting .
  7. Dirtdgger

Dirtdgger New Member

I got to get me one. Going by gun shop tomorrow see if they have one. How do you decide how far off lands?
  8. A-FIXER

A-FIXER New Member

I back it off a couple of thousands and it seems to work well for all of my rifles and .cals.... again this will be your fun part of reloading just seeing which powder and what amount of it will give you the best results.
  9. Dirtdgger

Dirtdgger New Member

A-fixer thanks for all your help. it has given me a lot of information to try out and I will get back to you on how it turns out.