veison meat help?

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by remington1990, Jul 18, 2012.

1. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

i am wanting to cook some of my deer from last year up again and i was wanting to know should i soak it or not. i was watching a dvd and the guy did soak his and i was just want to see what yall said.
  2. skullfr

skullfr New Member

depends.If it was an old deer I use to soak it in milk overnight.On a young one I just inject it with a 3 part mix of honey,apple cider and bourbon.And a dry rub
  3. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

i have soak my it in vinegar and i dont realy like it in vinegar. i have try italian dressing it was pretty good. i cant remember if it was a young deer or not i know it was a doe. i will be using the tenderloin thanks
  4. skullfr

skullfr New Member

milk is good on bear also.Milk is my 1st choice
  5. Killcreek

Killcreek New Member

If you guys have to soak your venison, it makes me want to ask, how in the world do you dress it?

I have a rule, that I have the guts on the ground within 10 minutes of the time I pull the trigger. Then I hang the critter and get it cool. The length of hang depends upon the temperature. I pull the skin the day before I process to allow some moisture to evaporate, then we cut and package the meat. My meat has no gamey odor, nor does it when it is cooked. The only seasoning that I use, other than when making jerky, is salt and pepper, because the meat is that tender and mild. I have never soaked my venison, because it is not gamey. The gamey flavor comes from one of two things, the diet of the deer, or how the deer is field dressed and processed.
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

ditto, except I do skin mine the day of the kill. Guts are out ASAP (heart and liver goes in my gallon ziplocks I carry) and then it's hung, skinned and generally try to let it hang for about 2 weeks in halves before processing, temperature dependent.

Never soaked my venison, especially tenderloin but wouldn't hurt; if it's over a year old and/or an old deer like mentioned, might be a worth a shot.

Are you wanting to soak because of the age of the meat or to marinate for flavor?
  7. remington1990

remington1990 New Member

i the only reason i soak it was because my uncle does. Me and my uncle nominally gut it as soon as i kill it and cut the meat off the nexted morning. I am thinking of grilling some and wrap it in bacon.
  8. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

bacon would certainly help, might almost be necessary for grilling, good idea. I've never been let down with varying combos of worchestire sp?? sauce, molasses/honey or brown sugar and vinegar and of course lots of pepper.
  9. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I have always heard of people soaking it in buttermilk. I think this tends to make the flavor milder and tenderize it slightly.

Personnally, I dont soak mine. If it is a little tough, that's fine. I like to be able to tell I am eating meat. The flavor is never bad on mine. While diet will influence this, I think processing is a big part. I try to get mine to bleed out. If I start to process and there is a lot of blood, I will soak the meat in ice water for a while and try to leech some of the blood out of the meat. I think this is where a lot of the gamey taste comes from. I dont let my meat hang since it is rarely cold enough for me to feel comfortable leaving it out(plus all the critters).

Wrapping bear in bacon is awesome too. I like to use Moore's marinade. It is very similar to Dales, but doesnt have near the soy sauce in it. I use dales if I am in a hurry, because a little soak goes a long way. I never leave it in dales for more than about half an hour. Moore's I can leave it in as long as I want.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Same here, except I don't let the meat hang. The tempreture here is usually too high. Shot, field dressed before the deer is moved, skinned, and butchered, all in the same day. No gamey odor, or taste.
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i take it you talk about toss the critter in pretty much whole into a big freezer ... never ever done that

i butcher mine asap i'll leave a fore quarter or rump to hang.. the gamey taste is very good for smoked and jerked meats and even jerky ,

Australia's too hot to leave not done

but for a venison steak , mashed tatoes corn on the cob and some fresh mustard greens with vinegar and sugarwine with apple pie and ice cream for afters

narrr pass ;)
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  12. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Jack,

They hang them in meat lockers with the temperature around 36-38 degrees to let then age.

Like carver, I gut, skin & quarter mine and put it in an ice chest within 90 minutes of the shot. The meat relaxes in the cold water and all the blood drains out.

Taken care of properly in the field you don't need to soak it unless it was an old buck. Instead, cook it in a slow cooker all day, that will tenderize it proper.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

you folks salt venison ? i've never really liked the results i get , Roo Pork Mutton no worries , never got venison to work right
  14. skullfr

skullfr New Member

Only soak I did was an old deer.I like others found dressed properly and avoid the musk glands on the hind legs and bladder it is no problem.The injection and dry rub are just for great taste and works really well on brisket also.I know some complain about gamey taste but it can be traced back to improper handling.I field dress immediately and finish at home with complete cutting up and tenderloins go right in the pan.