velocity AND THE TARGET

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by BETH, Apr 13, 2011.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i went to new gun shop today said wanted to try new ammo told the guy i was shooting 100yds and hitting a 6 inch target but wanted better groups. the guy told me to buy wolf match extra muzzle vel of 1050. I thought that if u had a higher velocity say 1230 that it would go faster and be more accurate the guy in the gun shop said no that is not true he more or less said to me that the higher velocity jump around (thats me saying that) in the barrel so are less accurate. so what are your opinions is he right
  2. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

He's probably trying to talk about the turbulence created when a projectile goes super sonic. This is generally small,but it does exist. I think the velocity loss would be a much bigger concern at 100yds(assuming you're talking 22lr). The faster it goes the flatter will be your trajectory, so you won't have a 6 ft. drop(just a reference #) with higher velocity ammo. I think higher velocity will serve better at that distance.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

thats what he was talking about he even gave me a box of ammo free to try and said if he was right and it is more accurate i could come back and pay for it, if it was not more accurate and he was wrong keep the box without paying
  4. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Sounds like a Win-Win! Go have fun and a small report would be nice.
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i will i just want to know if he knew what he was talking about
  6. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Sounds more like he learned one small bit of knowledge and is using that to try to interpret your results at the range. There are just too many other factors involved to intepret your range results using just one variable. Can't be done. What about wind,your ability, the weapon your using. If a scope, has it been set up correctly? I've seen your targets, so I'm sure you're capable, but see what I mean? This one bit of information isn't going to tell the complete story. As usual, try several types of ammo, see what works best in your rifle at that distance.
    P.S.--There are guys on here with a lot more knowledge about this than me. Maybe they'll chime in.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

shame on you looking at my targets-practice practice practice
  8. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Higher velocity DOES mean a flatter trajectory, but if your scope is sighted at 100 yards, this becomes a non-issue. In general you shouldn't see a meaningful change in accuracy at a hundred yards with a .22LR (again, assuming you're talking about .22LR) based SOLELY on velocity. In other words, not because of the speed of the bullet itself. You may well see a difference because of other aspects of the ammo that is only coincidental to the velocity. In other words, a lot of high-velocity ammo is manufactured to go like blazes and accuracy is secondary. And a lot of "target" ammo is slower because of range restrictions, noise, etc. But it is other aspects of quality control and the intended design of the ammo that make most of the difference, not the velocity.

As permafrost said, try a number of different types of ammo and see what your rifle seems to like best. This is a huge factor with all rifles/calibers and .22s are no different. Who knows, you could get lucky and it could just as easily turn out to be something generic and relatively inexpensive that your rifle digests really well.

Don't forget that some .22 rifles have a tendency to alter the nose of of the bullet ever so slightly as a round is chambered. .22LR bullets are fairly soft lead. (Chamber a round normally and then very carefully remove it. Look VERY closely at the bullet and see if any lead is marked, nicked, grooved, shaved, or in any way effected or displaced. If so, do the same thing with a dozen more rounds and see if the issue is consistent.) If it IS, you will never tighten the groups down beyond a certain point.

Good luck!
  9. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

LOL!
    I just can't help myself when they look that good! I'm like you, have the 50 yds. down pretty well, am just experimenting at 100. Good shooting!
    The velocity change from sub to super-sonic does not make the bullet wobble in the barrel if that's what I understood you to say in your first post.
  10. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Here is the "poop" on tis...

Target shooters insist that the bullet MUST stay supersonic untill it its the target....OR it MUST stay subsonic from the muzzle to the target. What you do not want is the bullet to transition to sub sonic flight while in route...as it WILL wobble a little bit, and accuracy will be effected. While in transition to sub sonic flight, any thing that may disturbe it, will have a much greater affect on it, like the wind. Sub sonic ammo in a 22 will have LESS wind drift at 100 or 50 yards than supersonic ammo. Sounds counterintuative, but it is true.

All 22 target shooters that shoot competetively shoot standard velocit and MANY shoot the Wolf match extra, including me.

Best regards, Kirk
  11. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Try it, you might find out he is right,got nothing to lose!:D
  12. millman

millman New Member

+1 Also, the match ammo is made with better quality control, and is more consistent. The Wolf .22 ammo is in fact repackaged SK ammo, that is made in Germany. It is very good ammo.
  13. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Beth, I have had better luck with the Subsonic ammo for accuracy. Get several different kinds and see what your gun likes. I have had good luck with Fed 711B, Winchester subsonic from Bass Pro, but my best groups are with SK standard +, and Wolf MT which are both the same.:)
  14. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

+1 on the Wolf Match Ammo.

My old Anschutz loves it.
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Ok went to the range today let u know the target distance later, 1st target on the money 2nd target on the money both with wolf 100yard target 8" with wolf got 8 on the target all over the place. 100 yrds with cci 14 on the target all over the place. using wolf i can hit a golf ball hanging from a string every other shot? i don't understand how i can hit a golf ball and not get a good group on 8" target, do u think its because the golf ball is so small?