velocity AND THE TARGET

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by BETH, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Road America

Road America Member

Hitting a golf ball at 100 yards with a 22 is pretty darn good if you ask me. Sometimes the color and size of a target just works better with certain sights, light conditions, eyes, etc. It's a lot more fun hitting something that jumps when you hit it too. What kind of rifle is it? Don't you dare say it's with a pistol!
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

pocket pistol
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

only kidding marlin 60
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

targets were at 50 75 and 100yds
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Are you understanding the Wolf will shoot much lower at any distance over 50yds because of it's slower muzzle velocity? You must sight your rifle for this ammo to be effective. Also mixing different ammo while shooting can affect your groups as well. Best to sight and test each ammo individuly, on a range day. Then clean, resight, and repeat with a different batch.

The Wolf match will IMHO out shot ANY high velocity load you can try. So I suggest you work with it alone for now. Get your rifle's zero with it and keep shooting.

What rifle by the way?

Regards, Kirk
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

marlin 60 at 50 and 75 dead center crosshairs-why can i hit a golf ball and not get a good group. Also 100 rnds gun jammed 3 or 4 times with wolf i did not clean rifle after shooting last time
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

need some suggestions now
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i'm waiting
  9. Warith

Warith Member

If your starting to jam after 100 rounds fired I would give a good cleaning and keep shooting. From what I have read wolf ammo will dirty your gun faster than most american ammo but I have no experance with wolf ammo.
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

think your right
  11. stillfox

stillfox New Member

Beth
    Check out this site. http://www.gunsmoke.com/guns/1022/22ballistics.html
    Subsonic ammunition is much more accurate than high velocity. If not, why is all the target ammunition subsonic? Lapua, Eley, RWS top of the line is subsonic.
    Look at the ballistic tables. HV out to 100 yards is not that much flatter than SS.
    Shooting targets at 100 yards with 22lr is a lot of fun. But shooting critters with a 22lr at 100 yards, UH UH, just not enough terminal energy for a clean kill. Yes, I know there are people that say they can do it, but at 100 yards plus, use at least a 22 mag, centerfire is much better.
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i shot wolf and cci mini mags could hit the golf ball fine with wolf (100yds) not with cci
  13. stillfox

stillfox New Member

The smaller the target, you are probably concentrating more on your target.
    It's kind of like a new deer hunter trying to shoot at the whole deer. You've got to pick out your spot on the deer, if you want to hit consistently.
    A white golf ball is going to stand out more in your sights than a black bull.
    Again, subsonic, target ammunition is much more accurate than high or hyper velocity. Much more care is taken in the manufacture. Much more consistent.
    In all seriousness, if your are hitting a golf ball at 100 yards, every other shot, with a Marlin 60, that's some DARN FINE SHOOTING!!!
    Ever consider trying out for the Olympic shooting team?
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  14. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

come on i am just a beginner other people on here are the experts and i have learned alot by listening to them there is so much to learn but i am enjoying every minute of it. i have to say i did amaze myself when i was hitting the golf ball i could not believe i hit it, could not have done that a year ago. i give everyone on here the credit for having the patience to listen and explain things to me they relized i wanted to learn and they were all there for me no matter how stupid the question was, not one person laughed they were just there and i thank them all every day