1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Velocity vs Barrel Length for Handguns

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Caneman, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

I gotta share this website with you... here these guys have done some really impressive testing to demonstrate how bullet velocity is affected by barrel length...

Last year I was developing a load for my 4" .357 Magnum and couldn't understand why I wasn't getting 1500 fps from my loads like they did from the load book... then i didn't really understand very well how a longer barrel increases bullet velocity, all other factors being equal... anyway, check out this website here:

Ballistics by the Inch

and they share their data for free here to download:

Raw Data

after reviewing their data, i soon understood why i would never get 1500 fps out of my 4" bbl and have the gun remain in one piece, and going for a target velocity of 1250 fps was more realistic...

enjoy :)
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I have a short cut on my desk top to this site! It will answer a lot of questions!