1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Venezuelan target rifle

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Road America, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Road America

Road America Member

I have a military type 7mm FN M98 Mauser that is marked with the Venezuelan crest, but it has a rear sight that is adjustable for windage and elevation. The rifle has a 3 digit serial number. I was told it made for some sort of shooting competion in the early 1950's. Does anyone know any more about this gun? Thanks
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

If you would,

Pleas discribe the rear sight....Is it a aperture (peep) sight? Or better yet post a picture....Kirk
  3. flaminjo

flaminjo New Member

why dont you post a picture of your 7mm FN M98 Mauser! it would be interesting for all of us to see!
  4. Road America

Road America Member

It's not a peep sight, just an open v notch. The sight assembly is like the regular military with a sliding ramp for elevation. There is a knurled knob on the right side to move the notch for windage.
    I'll try to get some pictures posted - if I can figure out how. I don't have a digital camera and I barely know enough about computers to be dangerous.
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Road America,( My favorite race track has this name:))

The windage knob has me interested, as I think the battle sight version had no windage provisions included, as the front sight was moved to zero the rifle in. (if I happen to be wrong about this, others please chime in here) I will do some checking to see if I can find a pic, meanwhile, see if you can find a way to post one. Best regards Kirk
  6. Road America

Road America Member

Ok, I have a few pictures of it on an email, and I saved them on a disc. Now how do I get them on here? I clicked on a little box with a paper clip thingy, but it got way too complicated after that!
    Kirk - Road America is my favorite race track too - I live close enough to hear the cars running - sometimes I can tell which group is out there by the sound.
    Jim
  7. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

RA,

Wish I could help with the pics, as I am "challenged" to do this myself, unless my 11 year old is around!;):p

I have spent a fair amount of time at the track, used to crew for a regular who raced there, and was part of a parade on track celebrating the 20 aniversary of the Pointiac Trans Am, with one of each year doing laps. Mine was the 1972 example. Fun is not enough to discribe the experiance!:D:D

If you go down to the bottom of the home page of TFF, you will find a forum called the members test forum, and if I am not mistaken there is a sticky note there explaining how to post pictures.

I will be watching for your pics, and will help you if I can.:) Best regards Kirk
  8. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Jim, if you can email the pics, send them to me and I'll post them for you. Make sure you put "Mauser pics" in the subject line so I don't dump it with the spam.
    dbevans957246887@aol.com
  9. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Here's the pics of the rear sight:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. Road America

Road America Member

Thanks - jeez my hands look awful in those pictures. I'm 61, but those hands look like I'm about a hundred! Must be the lighting - yea, that's it.
  11. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Jim, looking 100 ain't half as bad as feeling 100 when I get out of bed.:)

I ran this by the man I consider an expert, it most definitely got his attention! I think ya found a keeper, here's his reply:

Wow!

Ball's book indicates that Venezuela converted some specially-selected FN M1924/30 Short Rifles into target rifles to use in training for the Olympics. The rear sight pictured looks just like this one. I note the serial number stamped on the receiver ring and stock, something that may be indicative of a low-production piece.

The converted rifles were rebarreled and the target barrel was much longer. However, the stock was the standard short rifle stock, so the barrel went way past the bayonet lug & cleaning rod (as if you put a Gew 98 action in a Kar 98k stock).
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  12. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Road America,

Looks like we need to know if the barrel is looooonnnngggg enough to be one of these rifles!!! Thanks again TRAP55 for your help. Yes it could be a keeper! Best regards Kirk
  13. Road America

Road America Member

Ok, I have it here with a tape measure. The barrel is 27 and 1/4 inches long (from the face of the bolt to the end). It sticks out past the stock by 9 and 7/16, and is 7 and 5/8 past the end of the bayonett lug. The section of the barrel that sticks out past the stock is turned down slightly in diameter.
    The stock is 37 and 5/8 long overall. Is this what would be meant by the barrel "going way past the bayonett lug"?
    I wonder how well they did in the Olympics and what year it was.
    As far as it being a keeper, well, I have a couple of Swedish Mausers that I really like and this one would probably be more interesting to someone who collects Mausers. I would be willing to sell it I guess.
  14. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

15. Road America

Road America Member

Hi - That rifle is certainly similar, but not identical. That rear sight goes to 300, mine goes to 100. The windage knob has marks on it, mine doesn't. That receiver is polished and not blued, mine is blued. The barrel on that one seems to be shorter, it ends around where the cleaning rod ends. Mine goes about 4 1/2 inches beyond that. The front sight seems different, but that one has a sight protector (?) on it. Mine has a much lower serial number.
    Mine says "FUERZAS ARMADAS DE VENZEZUELA" next to the crest.
    I wouldn't describe mine as being in as good a condition as they are saying that one is. The bore is ok, but not real crisp and perfect and my wood has more dings in it than that one seems to have.

I really enjoy this site, thanks guys. Part of the fun in guns is learning about them and the history envolved. Maybe if I do enough reading about this gun I will be able to spell Venezuela without looking it up!
    Jim