Venison backstraps

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by zkovach, Jan 10, 2017.

1. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member

I'm in need of a good recipe please

dbcooper likes this.
  2. SeldomseenPA

SeldomseenPA Member

Cruising around the boards this morning and came across your post. Surprised to find no replies. My all-time preferred method: cast iron skillet, butter (lots), garlic, bp, salt. Cannot go wrong with this setup. Best of luck.

SilasW likes this.

3. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

I like them wrapped in bacon and smoked with hickory wood. Coat with brown sugar and honey before removing to form a glaze.

accident, dbcooper and howlnmad like this.
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't know about the brown sugar and honey, but wrapped in bacon and smoked is awesome.

accident and dbcooper like this.
  5. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

I've never tried crack cocaine or meth, but if it's half as addicting as smoked venison backstrap, I understand why these people are killing each other for it.

howlnmad, dbcooper and rawright54 like this.
  6. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member

Brown the meat on an iron skillet in high heat. Remove meat from skillet and keep warm. Use one tablespoon of butter on skillet, this will help remove drippings from skillet ,add 1chop shallot, 1/2 cup of cognac and 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce and reduce till half liquid is left. Salt and pepper to taste. While reducing the sauce take 1 cup of mushrooms chopped, preferably portabella and on a different skillet sautéed with one table spoon butter, 3 tablespoons cognac, and 3 tablesppoons of worcesthire sauce and garlic to taste for 20 minutes. The mushrooms release a lot of water but once the liquid is evaporated add to the sauce mix for 5 minutes and place over the venison medallions.

dbcooper and SeldomseenPA like this.
  7. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

Gotta love backstraps...

dbcooper likes this.
  8. zkovach

zkovach Well-Known Member

I smoke a lot and I cook chicken that same way. Do u brine them too?

dbcooper likes this.
  9. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

In a airtight container, add enough beer to almost cover. Coat with meat tenderizer. A little black pepper and some sliced onion. Let it sit in the fridge overnight.
    When ready to smoke I wrap the meat with bacon and pat it down with brown sugar. Drizzle with honey. Wrap it with the sliced onion and some mushrooms in foil and place on medium hot fire for about 45 minutes to an hour. Open up foil and smoke for at least two hours at 180-200 degrees. Ensure bacon cooks crisp on the venison and occasionally spoon some of the juices over it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017 at 4:33 AM