The Firearms Forum banner

Venison Drunken Noodles

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Woodnut 
#1 · (Edited)
or Venison Pad-Ki-Mao (Pad- KEE-Mao as my Thai waitress corrected me at Thai-Smile 2:D:eek::eek:)

If you like Thai.....

This is a piece of cake, easy cleanup, basically one dish serving, one other pot to wash along with a colander, and a cutting board and a knife, and your wok mixing tool, besides the table dishes, and my wife MAKES me make it for us at least a couple of times per month...

It started with my favorite Thai dish from our favorite Thai places, Pad-Ki-Mao, or "Drunken Noodles," that you can order with chicken, pork, beef, (or shrimp for $1 extra:p)

Once on the way home I mused, I BET you could make it with venison...

But not until we were at Jungle Jims in Cinci, and in the Thai section found little bottles of "Chile Pad Thai with Basil" sauce did I try it...

It may be BETTER with venison!

Take a Wok, put in a splash of oil, first I used Extra Virgin olive, but Canola or Saffron works as well....

Heat 'til hot (water drips will SIZZLE) then dump in your defrosted "Stew Meat" chunks of venison and start to Brown.

Put a bunch of rice noodles in a pot of water and boil.

About half way to the time your venison would be ""browned," cut up a large onion (or two) and then cut up some broccoli, bok choy, (Baby Bok choy works better, but my wife hates me singing a bad rap of "Baby Got Bok Choy!" when I'm doing it:p:D:D) some celery, a tomato or two (good way to get rid of those wilted half 'maters and half onions in baggies in the 'fridge left over from your last sandwich!:cool:) and let them fry with the meat in the wok. Cut up a few dried red peppers or shake in some red pepper flakes, just guess...:D

About the time the noodles are done (8-12 minutes depending on what rice noodles you use) the meat will be browned and the veggies tender.

Add the 'Chile with Basil" sauce to taste. (1 teaspoon will be like a Thai "1," (wimpy) about three Tablespoons gets it to about a "4," (hot) but I guess some more red peppers or Frank's sauce is needed to get it to a "5" or (Thai Hot!:eek:)

Drain your noodles and dump them in the Wok and mix it all together...

I have done it like this, sometimes I dump in some soy sauce, and/or some fish oil sauce. or worcestershire, other hot sauces, garlic powder, whatever trips my trigger, so each time it's a LITTLE different, but I haven't screwed it up yet, EVERY Thaime it's good...;)

Then serve.

Goes well with beer. (Miller, hell, Natty Light, works as well as Singha.;)

But Singha's good too!;)

Enjoy! If this hamfisted Polak can make this dish that his almost Iron-Chef qualified wife not only LOVES but insists he cooks it ((She helps cut up veggies though....) ANYBODY can do it....

And I swear Venison makes it BETTER.

See less See more
#2 ·
or Venison Pad-Ki-Mao (Pad- KEE-Mao as my Thai waitress corrected me at Thai-Smile 2:D:eek::eek:)

If you like Thai.....

This is a piece of cake, easy cleanup, basically one dish serving, one other pot to wash along with a colander, and a cutting board and a knife, and your wok mixing tool, besides the table dishes, and my wife MAKES me make it for us at least a couple of times per month...

It started with my favorite Thai dish from our favorite Thai places, Pad-Ki-Mao, or "Drunken Noodles," that you can order with chicken, pork, beef, (or shrimp for $1 extra:p)

Once on the way home I mused, I BET you could make it with venison...

But not until we were at Jungle Jims in Cinci, and in the Thai section found little bottles of "Chile Pad Thai with Basil" sauce did I try it...

It may be BETTER with venison!

Take a Wok, put in a splash of oil, first I used Extra Virgin olive, but Canola or Saffron works as well....

Heat 'til hot (water drips will SIZZLE) then dump in your defrosted "Stew Meat" chunks of venison and start to Brown.

Put a bunch of rice noodles in a pot of water and boil.

About half way to the time your venison would be ""browned," cut up a large onion (or two) and then cut up some broccoli, bok choy, (Baby Bok choy works better, but my wife hates me singing a bad rap of "Baby Got Bok Choy!" when I'm doing it:p:D:D) some celery, a tomato or two (good way to get rid of those wilted half 'maters and half onions in baggies in the 'fridge left over from your last sandwich!:cool:) and let them fry with the meat in the wok. Cut up a few dried red peppers or shake in some red pepper flakes, just guess...:D

About the time the noodles are done (8-12 minutes depending on what rice noodles you use) the meat will be browned and the veggies tender.

Add the 'Chile with Basil" sauce to taste. (1 teaspoon will be like a Thai "1," (wimpy) about three Tablespoons gets it to about a "4," (hot) but I guess some more red peppers or Frank's sauce is needed to get it to a "5" or (Thai Hot!:eek:)

Drain your noodles and dump them in the Wok and mix it all together...

I have done it like this, sometimes I dump in some soy sauce, and/or some fish oil sauce. or worcestershire, other hot sauces, garlic powder, whatever trips my trigger, so each time it's a LITTLE different, but I haven't screwed it up yet, EVERY Thaime it's good...;)

Then serve.

Goes well with beer. (Miller, hell, Natty Light, works as well as Singha.;)

But Singha's good too!;)

Enjoy! If this hamfisted Polak can make this dish that his almost Iron-Chef qualified wife not only LOVES but insists he cooks it ((She helps cut up veggies though....) ANYBODY can do it...

This really sounds good, and I keep venison in the freezer year round. It will be about a week or so before I try it, but I will let you know how it turns out.
Thanks for sharing.

And I swear Venison makes it BETTER.

#3 ·
I am so close to trying this but still cannot find the "Chile Pad Thai with Basil"
I live near New Orleans, you would think I could find it there. Guess I just have not went to the right place.
Have you tried this over basmati rice? My wife seems to think it will be better, then again she does not like the rice noodles, says they are way too mushy. Me, I don't know from nothing, I just like the sound of using venison a little different. I love venison and alway have. I have eaten it many ways, but never like this. I am so anxious.
Thanks for sharing the recipe, if I ever get all the ingredients, I will let you know how I like it.

#6 ·
Well Polishshooter, I probably spent over $30.00 in gas yesterday looking for the Chile Pad Thai with Basil, no one knew what I was talking about. One lady had a Chile Sauce with sweet Basil but told me that she did not think it was the same so I left it on the shelf. However we did find everything else, so went home and put it all together. You did not specify the amounts of each ingredient, so I just winged it. I really don't know how the Chile Pad Thai with Basil could make it any better. My wife and I loved it without the sauce. I put extra red pepper and a lot of other stuff, as you said to clean out the fridge.
Beth, I did not make pictures this time but there will be another time and maybe I will take the time to shoot a few shots. This was the first time and I was in too much of a hurry to taste it and did not even think of the camera.
This is a really good recipe. Love it. I will experiment with it until I get it exactly right. I may have to go to a Thai Restaurant and order it to see what the actual taste is supposed to be. But I seriously doubt I will like it any better than the batch I whipped up last night.
Thanks for sharing the recipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.