Venison/hamburger casserole

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Mrs. DCD, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Mrs. DCD

Mrs. DCD New Member

On a beautiful little farm high up on a hill.
    I like to experiment with what I cook for my lively brood, and this is one of the better ones.

2 cups uncooked long grain rice (white or brown)
    2 lbs. ground venison or ground beef, or 1/2 and1/2.
    1 can dark red kidney beans
    1 medium onion
    2 cans cream of mushroom soup (I make my own)
    1 can french fried onions
    2 cups water

Directions:

Chop onion, and add to meat. Fry meat in pan till brown, drain fat. Stir in beans and 1/2 the can of french fried onions. Place over uncooked rice in 9x13 pan. Mix soup and water and pour over all. Bake in 350 degree oven 45 to 55 minutes till rice is done. Sprinkle remaining french fried onions on top and return to oven for about 5 minutes.

I hope ya'll like it.:)
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

OMG, that sounds good... I have to try this soon.

I only have one recipe that I do with the french fried onion and you reminded me that I need to try it again soon as well... It calls for pork chops, of course good old wild pork backstrap works much better then the store bought stuff.

Oh, here is the recipe...

I don't know many people besides myself who mix venison or pork with beef, but I have to say that I have done pork/beef burger that was the best stuff I ever had... Venison and pork together make a mighty fine sausage too!

Crpdeth
  3. ncbelly

ncbelly New Member

it sounds delicious!
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

We will be trying this, it sounds perfect. :) Just my cup of tea.

I have no idea what a french fried onion is, maybe just some chopped fried onions, like I am having tonight with Fijitas!
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  5. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I'll have to try that out. We use deer exclusively in all beef dishes. The only beef we buy are the pre-fabbed hamburger patties and the occasional roast for corned beef (got two corning in the fridge right now) or roast and taters. We got spoiled on home raised beef and have a hard time eating the commericaly produced stuff.